Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Where have all the Dingo's gone?  Bottom

• Hi all,
    I'm new to the forum but am a returning cat sailor. When I was a teenager I had a '69 DIngo that had been given to me for doing an odd job for a neighbor, anyhow I was up at my parent's place an had completely forgot that I never got rid of it! lol...so I've restored a few boats in my time and am thinking about doing the Dingo because it's actually in great shape....my question is...where are all of the other DIngos? Was it just not a popular boat, not too many made, not too many survived, or just not many in the US?

Thanks,
    Paul
  • Sounds like you might be in charge of starting a Dingo archive. Got pics? Sorry I never heard of it, but I'm sure someone here has.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • I think in that point of Cat history, there were lots of builders, & racing fleets were strong. People gravitated to the popular boats.
    Hobie Alter came along, lots of makes died, just like when I was a kid there were many more common brands of cars.
    It could be the other boats were faster, cheaper, or both.
    I have never seen one under sail, but there are two for sale within 90 minutes drive from me. They were for sale all last year also. I don't see it ever selling at that price point.
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sa…earchNavigationFlag=true

Edited by Edchris177 on Mar 31, 2017 - 08:17 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • My father had a Dingo cat in the late 70s. It was a great boat. We had a lot of fun on that boat, but when we moved to the Prindle 16 in 1979, the performance advantage was readily apparent. I saw a Dingo mast and mainsail at a garage sale several years ago, but that was the last I have ever seen of the old cats. It's nice to hear them spoken fondly of.

--
    Peyton Adair
    Prindle 18 classic
    Hobie 17
    Hobie Wave
    Wichita KS
    --
  • poliverHi all,
    I'm new to the forum but am a returning cat sailor. When I was a teenager I had a '69 DIngo that had been given to me for doing an odd job for a neighbor,

Paul

Paul, Welcome to TheBeachcats.com! Glad you are getting back into cat sailing and I love to hear about these early boats.

Since you are new, and we've had a surge of new registrations recently, so welcome to anyone else that's new but hasn't posted yet, documenting these members of the "dead boat society" is one of the major purposes of this website.

Over the years (since 2002) I've tried to collect everything I can on them and publish it here. Everything has been contributed by members like you that happen to have access to one of the original boats.

Most of the info is in the Photo Albums in the Beachcats Identification album.
    https://www.thebeachcats.…/pictures?g2_itemId=3120

There is a small Dingo collection here, mostly from random Craigslist posts.
    https://www.thebeachcats.…pictures?g2_itemId=64759

Here's what a Dingo looks like for everyone else.
    https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=64765&g2_serialNumber=1https://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=64771&g2_serialNumber=1

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Thanks for the quick replies! Yeah, mine is all original except for a couple of access ports that were put in for storage. I'll have to post pics as I run through the process of restoring her. I really hate to see a perfectly good cat go to the scrap heap. I'm sure that after I get her back on the water I'll be looking to step up to a faster cat but might find it hard to let her go...probably be past down in the family...besides can a guy really have too many sailboats?

Paul
  • poliverThanks for the quick replies! Yeah, mine is all original except for a couple of access ports that were put in for storage. I'll have to post pics as I run through the process of restoring her....
    Paul

Please do! And don't forget to take pictures right now before you start the cleanup.

Do you have everything? Were the sails stored on the boat or indoors?

Is there any chance you have any Dingo documents like assembly manuals or sales literature?

Do you or your folks have any pictures of you sailing the boat back in the day?

Please start your own album inside the Dingo album I linked above to share pictures.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Welcome. That's a very interesting boat. I've never heard of these or seen one. I guess there were many different makes out on the water at one time. The Dingo looks like it would be a sturdy boat also. What is that 3rd rudder for? It looks to be bigger and a different shape than the main rudders, was it supposed to act as a dagger board?
    Have fun with the restoration, you are in the right place for all things Beachcat!

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Hey Marty,
    Yeah, the main dagger board is the larger one in the middle...it doesn't have any in the hulls so it's the only way to keep it going straight as it has fairly rounded hulls. The boat has it's good and bad points it doesn't really draft too deep so it's able to go through really shallow waters and the dagger board just kicks back so it's not dragging the bottom but it lacks a jib, although there was a kit that you could buy from the manufacturer to add one, so it's not the fastest thing out there unless you had it. Once I get it restored I'll look at seeing if I can adapt one from another manufacturer.

Paul
  • Hey Paul, they are only original once. I would restore that baby as it is, as you know it to be. Do not care about being faster than another, restore and preserve the boat as orginal as possible and don't worry about anything else. You have a piece of catamaran history there with that boat. I am a purist at heart and like to see things stay original if possible. Like I said, they are only original once! Cool boat, keep her original and you are sailing something no one else is.

--
    Marty
    --
  • Hey Marty,
    Yeah, it'll be pretty original. The problem I'm having is finding any type of literature that states what colors they came in, I've seen the one photo that has a picture of one with the lite blue top hulls but I think they came in several colors...I think mine might have been red on top but it's hard to tell because it looks the previous owner sanded it down and painted it all white. It's the biggest problem I've found, not like restoring a car...I've got a '70 Bronco and I was able to just read the VIN and order a build sheet for it!

Paul
  • Yeah vin tags and data plates contain lots of info about a vehicle for sure, I guess hull identification numbers really don't tell us much other than the year of manufacturing. '70 Broncos are cool trucks, I have a 1968 Dodge D100 Custom that my Grandfather bought new and has 63,000 original miles on it. I will have to get a picture of the truck pulling the Hobie.

--
    Marty
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.