Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Trailer bunk height  Bottom

• Hi all. I am setting up a trailer for a Wave. By having an under sling axle, the hulls will be a few inches lower. Same with cross arms that hold the hulls. The trailer has 8 inch wheels, so it really isn't too tall, but now it looks like the skegs are 20 inches off the ground. The hull will be a couple feet behind the aft support bar. Here is philosophical question, what is best height to tow a cat? Now I have overslung axle and cross supports.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • I don't think it really makes that much difference to be honest. A little lower and the boat might be marginally easier to load onto the trailer but a little more susceptible to having debris kicked up from the road. As long as there's no risk of the trailer bottoming out and the hull touching the road, I don't think it matters.

I would say that switching from 8" to 12" wheels is a pretty significant improvement (and is related to ride height). The 12" wheels spin at roughly 30% lower RPMs so less tire wear, lower heat, and less load on the wheel bearings. If you plan to tow any more than short trips around town, I would definitely consider upgrading the wheels.

sm
  • The other consideration is driving over a "V" shaped depression, say coming off a sloped driveway onto a crowned street. As the small wheels go into the gully, it is possible to bang the sterns.
    I once banged a skeg on an outboard that way.
    PS PM me your email addy, I'll send you the photos of that downhaul setup all Harken exit blocks etc.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.