Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

How many of us also sail mono's  Bottom

• How many of us also sail displacement monohulls? Thinking about getting a 30 footer, good shape, low hour diesel. Girlfriend doesn't always want to get wet and mom is getting older, sisters have little kids ect. Partially justifying it as a little weekend getaway condo at the coastal town 2 hours from me where slips are cheap. Have not done the big boat game in a while and afraid I'll be bored to tears. Love to hear from those of you that do both
  • It is the best of both worlds. When you get bored you jump on the cat and all is right again. Of course, one step further; get the cat, the mono and the tri and it is the best of all worlds. icon_smile

Dan K

Hobie Tiger, Hobie 14, Corsair F-242, Mirage 25

--
    dk

Blade F-16
    Hobie 14
    Corsair F-242
    Mirage 25 (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    Hobie Tiger (Sold)
    TomCat 6.2 (Sold)
    --
  • I don't own a monhull, but do go out on them (club boats and a sailing organization that has a J22 fleet). Many of the cat sailors at my club have monohulls also. More opportunities in general, and during frostbite season in particular.

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --
  • I race on a Moore 24. I find it as enjoyable and much more forgiving to various conditions as the cats. We race 2x per month through the year. Its very beneficial in terms rules, tactics and generally getting better at your head being out of the boat. Right now I am leaning hard towards purchasing a Hobie 33 for club racing and some coastal races on the gulf.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Being able to set the sheets, and sit in a dry seat and sail with friends and family is all you need to be happy with monohull sailing. Well, a glass of wine helps. There is a lot going on depending the boat's draft and wind conditions, and it's a different world from cat sailing, but it ain't a pontoon boat. Monohull covers a lot of territory, from fast small day sailboats to larger cruisers and deep draft bluewater boats.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • I'm currently rebuilding a J30. I also like the idea of sailing with some friends in varying conditions. It will also be fun to do some overnight adventures. Should be fun to have both options when it comes choosing a boat to go play with. There is a lot of work to do though before the playing with that toy starts.

--
    dg
    NACRA 5.2 #400
    This End Up
    Original owner since 1975
    --
  • Monos, monos, we don't sail no stinking monos. icon_lol

Actually I do occasionally. But the Force 5 seems slower and slower every time it goes out.

Edited by ctcataman on Dec 15, 2016 - 01:00 PM.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • I started in cats, but have owned a Hobie 33 for 32 years. I currently own 5 cats and the H33. Yes I like to sail. That said as I look back over the years I could be described as a racer, since I only go out and sail in races.

The big difference between a cat and the type of boat you described, is that in the larger monohull you can take out more people. This makes the experience more social, with more folks to enjoy the time together.

Now, I do not look at myself as a racer. A) I am not really that good and B) I do not really care that much about how I do in the races. Sure I love to win, but no one else really cares either.

The reason I mention all of this, is so you can determine how you would like to use the boat and whether you will become bored etc. as you mentioned.

Over the years I have invited anybody I ran into to go out sailing. "Sure they would love too" is what they said. OK, how about Saturday, is what I asked. The answer was universally, oh sorry I have something I need to do Saturday. This included all family members. What I discovered is the only time I could get people to commit, or for family to let me go sailing, was for a race. For whatever reason, people would justify the time/ changing their schedule, making a valid excuse...whatever the reason, the only times I ended up going sailing was if it was a race. Is that what I wanted to do? No. However, that was only way it ended up working.

So my advise to you is WHO, are you planning to go sailing WITH on this big 30 foot boat? Will they really want to put all other plans aside to go watch the grass grow/spend time wandering around for no expressed purpose on a sailboat for hours at a time? Your purpose and plans should be as concrete and meaningful as a "race" in order to get space in other peoples lives. Otherwise that boat will sit in the marina like the other 100 or so that never go out.

Yes, it can be done, but the issue is not the boat. I do wish you the best of luck.
  • Haven't owned larger displacement boat in years, but spent 10 years owning and sailing on the west coast.
    If you have friends, family and others that will participate, they are nice to cruise, and depending on the area, others and type of racing, can be fun doing that as well.
    I stopped because it was too time consuming to keep the boat up and I felt guilty if I wasnt at the club every weekend taking care of the boat and taking it out. Was relatively expensive due to dock fees, bottom cleaning and overall maintenance to take care of bright work, seagull and sea lion excrement, as well as canvas. Last boat was a wooden hull, so that was another x# of hours per month to maintain.
    When i started in cats, the speed and ease of getting on the water convinced me not to own a large boat. Fortunate enough to be on the water and have mast up storage.
    However, I now sail about 8 times a season with friends who have larger monohulls and do enjoy it, but now it is simply a good day on the water. Not challenging in the same way, but part of that is that we are always just day sailing.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • Grew up in monos, from dinghy to 60ft classics. Did deliveries on the Northsea, to the Med
    and a few Atlantic crossings on monos.
    Discovered catsailing some 7 years ago, got seriously hooked, and spend several holidays
    trailering and camping in a tent near a beach or lake. In Holland, France and Denmark.
    Went from a rotomoulded Dart 16 to a P18-2 and now a Tornado.

Until last spring,when my girlfriend told me she didn’t want to be in a tent for a few
    weeks during holidays and wanted a little more luxury….
    Surprisingly, I stumbled on a 22 ft sailing pocket cruiser, a few weeks later .
    I always wanted to have one since it was brought on the market in the early 70’s.
    Its unsinkable, shallow-draft cause it has a lifting keel, and despite its size it has
    a big double in the front, a small kitchen, a fridge , heater, and even a toilet (no privacy,tough icon_wink
    Above all, I can sail it solo almost anywhere.
    I bought it, but it was located in a south delta of the Netherlands no way near Amsterdam.
    Then we discovered the lease for her berth in the south was paid for till spring 2017!
    So, we had a great summer holiday in the south, anchoring, sailing on tides.
    Enjoying autonomy at great anchor-spots. Yes, a good glas of wine..
    Didn’t bring the T cause I haven’t figured out the trailer yet. (Rebuild it to canting).
    One thing I forgot..its SLOOOOOW sailing, 6,5/7 Knts max even with a McGyvered
    F18 spi on it. You really have to plan trips at tidal waters, which is good refreshing
    the old skills. On a beach cat I don’t care about tides, go from a to b fast and adjust
    routing while sailing.

The litle mono is still in the south, I’m planning to sail her to the Amsterdam region
    early spring, out side, over the Northsea. So a little preparation needs to happen this
    winter, like new gaskets for the hatches and cabin entry, a radarreflector in the top,
    and fully working navigation lights.

Our cat club is in the middle of nowhere, amenities for staying over the night is none.
    Next season we gonna sail up to the club, anchor our little floating camper there
    for days and sail the T much more . Plus do a bit of exploring the northern shoals.

So, Jalex, don't buy a big boat with can't be handled by yourself, just a mono
    that suits you're demands.

Grtz, A

Edited by catmodding on Dec 16, 2016 - 12:04 AM.

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Do you like steak or do you like chicken? I like them both. I bought an S2 27b years ago. It was a decent boat, but I missed cat sailing. I sold it when I bought a Stiletto 27. I thought it would be the best of both worlds, and I really enjoyed cat sailing with 7 or 8 people, but tearing it down and putting it back together every year was quite a chore. A few years ago, I started sailing a p-18 classic again after years away. I had forgotten how much fun it was to be right down by the water. I also really like not having to worry about capsizing. I enjoy sailing on my friend's big boats, but for me, it's so much easier to get on the water with a beachcat. I also enjoy traveling to other lakes, something that is much harder to do with a big boat.

--
    Peyton Adair
    Prindle 18 classic
    Hobie 17
    Hobie Wave
    Wichita KS
    --
  • Grew up sailing on mono's, spent many years owning and racing as crew on them but now only enjoy them for leisure sailing. I am in the same situation with a wife that does not like going on the cat so we belong to a sailing club and rent a boat when we want. Check to see if this exists near you. It's nice to walk on and sail for a day then walk away for 6 months. It still costs monthly dues and rental fees but it's a lot cheaper than slip fees and everything else.
    And yes, you may be bored if you are coming from only cat sailing but it is a different type of experience with friends and family. Usually with a lot of teaching and letting other people drive while you trim for optimum speed of 5 knots.

--
    David
    Nacra 5.5SL
    Nacra 5.2 (sold)
    San Diego, CA
    --
  • I grew up sailing monohulls. These days, I have a timeshare on a new Jeanneau 409, decked to the 9s.

Last night I was out for a sunset sail with a friend, family, glass of wine and dinner in the soft breeze. Tomorrow Friday hoping to get the Whisper up foiling if I can escape early from work. We also have two kids dinghies (Topper Taz) for the 7yo which I guess qualify as monohulls icon_wink
  • I sailed Laser II quite a bit it when i was young. Planing was FUN and the crew had real work on the trap. Different kind or sailing, i miss it very often, i just need a hull replacement but i haven't seen one since long time
  • I know where a mint Laser II is stored and needs a new home. This boat has lived inside all it's life and probably has not been sailed 10 times, if that.
  • Is it in the southern hemisphere?..
  • Oh, one thing I forgot mentioning, the administration sailing a mono tub.
    Witch starts with showing the insurance-papers at the marina office,
    Signing a contract for AC on the dock.
    Figuring out tides, bridge clearance and lock schedules . Administrate
    the way you’re going on a paper chart while sailing slow.
    Getting VHF/AIS license figured out (Europe).

On top of that, explaining neighbors in their floating winnebagos you
    don’t want another glas of red wine, but catch a tide , and yes, gonna
    use the boat as a platform to sail the T more often….

Hard reminder why I began catsailing. Drive up to the cat, hoist sails,
    and go stinking fast.

davidsd I am in the same situation with a wife that does not like going on the cat so we belong to a sailing club and rent a boat when we want.

My girlfriend loves sailing the T, she just doesn't want to camp out anymore.
    Slight difference.

Grtz, A

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Monos: started on lightenings, cape codes, blue jays, and of course sunfish and sailfish(manufactured by laser who manufactured my darts) whenever my cat sailing mate Joe and I charter a craft out of Tortola/The Moorings, it s always a mono; the big cats seem to plow thru the water while you really can get a hull up on the mono. Last time we chartered 2 Benneton brand new 46 footers(one didn't even have the name embellished on [email][/email]boat yet)The young guys in their 40s were captained by an Annapolis alum -we raced for a week ,the old guys won5 out of 6 especially when captained by Burt who served on SS New Jersey, who is over 80 and still sails cats with us on Fire Island in summer and in the Gulf off Raddington Beach Fla winters-sail mono on Long Island Sound, but there is always wind on Great South Bay where our cats are always dancing over the waves all summer.[/email]
  • Grew up sailing monos - ancient Cape Cod Bullseye, Self-built Glen-L Buckboard (a Sailfish knock-off), then the family Northstar 500 and others. Got the multi bug when my Dad started up a friendship with Dick Newick a long time ago. Got going with beach cats after college, and ultimately replaced the Northstar with a Corsair F-27. Currently help sail a friends Lightning on weeknight races as well, had been also crewing for a friend on Flying Scotts. A mono is not a bad way to have a larger boat cheaply, but my advice - consider what you really want to do sailing wise and consider an F-Boat, used or new. You can be as wild or as tame as you want on the F-boat and have a lot more options for getting places, including shallow anchorages or just pulling up on the beach.

Video of a moonlight/sunset cruise we did with friends, kids, and friend's mother. Wind started out medium and grew, but all fun in comfort. Note just having plates of food on the deck...

https://youtu.be/AU_oEsCwyvU

Edited by kbcatman on Dec 27, 2016 - 12:07 PM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.