Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Putting my HC17 mast down - reflections  Bottom

• Hi All,

Being new in the game and sailed only two times this fall i put down my mast today.

I have had problems with getting the halyard ring to snap in the mast top fitting.
    It looks like this in the top: http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=126092

anyone with the same problems??

Also, by boom fitting has a big gap, see two pictures of the fitting in out vs. in position. Is this right or??
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=126095
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/pictures?g2_itemId=126100

//Mats
  • your pictures won't open.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • The little "flapper" on the halyard hook was only used on the very early H17's. It was removed shortly after the boats went into production. I recommend you remove it as it will make for more problems then it's worth.

There is a good description of how to latch the halyard on the FAQ section of the Hobie forum. In summary, the first thing you want to do is make sure the boat is pointed directly into the wind. The type of halyard ring also makes a difference. The one that has a small loop welded to the top for attaching the halyard is best. Tie the halyard on using a basic overhand knot and the knot should face the mast when attaching the halyard to the head of the sail. Hoist the sail up as far as it will go, then rotate the mast 90 degrees to the side so that the hook engages the ring. Then release the halyard and pull down on the foot of the sail to ensure the hook is firmly attached. Finally release the mast rotator to allow the mast to straighten. Reverse the process to drop the sail.

For your gooseneck fitting, it is normal for the pin to slide in and out of the boom a few inches. Once the mainsheet is tensioned, the boom will seat all the way forward.

Your boat has the original gooseneck fitting (the part that bolts to the mast base). This design was improved pretty early on in producion and you should consider updating as the original goosenecks had a tendency to break because they didn't allow the boom to fully articulate.

sm
  • Dogboy!!
    Many thanks for your reply - very helpful.
    I assume the boat is pretty early (seller didn't knew) and this strengthens my assumptions.
    The main sail halyard has been a pain in the..., only hooking one out of twenty attempts. Last sailing I tied the halyard at the bottom of the mast. It didn't look good and didn't worked well either. I'll happily remove the flapper as you write.

For the gooseneck fitting (had no idea about the name) - any reason for the pin to slide in and out of the boom?
    /Mats
  • I picked up an '84 H18 Magnum a year ago, & sailed the crap out of it this year. It came with the same flapper system your photo shows.
    I never tried using the flapper, removed it on the advice of others here.
    The rivet is SS, & quite hefty. Centre punch a mark, in the centre, so your bit doesn't wander, or do as I did, use an angle grinder to cut the rivet head off, then a 1/8" punch.
    Also, if your boat has that little "feeder" thing screwed to the mast, just where you start the sail in the groove, remove it, it serves no useful purpose. Lay the sail just left of the boom & maually pull the bolt rope into alignment as you hoist. Don't forget to seal the two screw holes, or your mast will fill if you turtle.
    Notice the hook is riveted to the port side of the mast,(looking towards the bows). For that reason I find when lowering the sail it is works better to rotate the mast clockwise. ei push the rotator bar towards the port hull. I simply give the halyard a strong pull, to raise the sail an inch or so, rotate the mast, & it comes down 98% of the time, especially if pointed directly into the wind. I hoit the sail on a Seadoo lift, & don't have the luxury of being directly into the wind, maybe 10% of the time, more usual is 45* off.
    I had a 20' Mystere that gave me problems, (used the same sort of "hook" system), & I read every article, & Forum post, both here & Hobie Forum, with only limited success. The Mystere ring was this one, & it seemed the knot did matter.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=109537&g2_serialNumber=4
    When I changed the halyard from 1/4" down to 3/16" it was night & day, hooked/released every time.
    When i got the H18, I tried every one of the various methods posted, including the Hobie article showing the difference knot forward/rearward.
    The worst thing I ever did was try the advice to twist the ring a few times. That resulted in a sail I ended up leaving up overnight.
    I now just use an anchor hitch on the basic Hobie round ring, & without any twists in halyard simply hoist the sail. You will feel it hit the top. Let it down a few inches, then give a solid pull. It will go up over the hook, & you will hear a "ting" as the ring goes over the hook & engages. On my H18 it's that simple, the only hassle is when the wind is blowing the sail against the shrouds, then it takes a couple of tries, or I wait for a shift & when the sail comes across, yank it up. This works 99% of the time, the final yank can be substantial, use gloves, of one of those line grippers.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • This is the halyard ring you want to use. Just pass the halyard through the loop in the top and tie a basic overhand knot to secure it with the minimal amount of bulk. I agree that a 3/16" diameter halyard works the best.

http://shop.mariner-sails.com/images/HC%2061290021.jpg

sm

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.