Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

How to replace broken mast on Inter 17?  Bottom

• I have a 2001 Inter 17 with a broken mast (Carbon). I'm ok with replacing it with alloy.

Does anyone have any experience on how to replace a mast? I haven't had any luck trying to get help from dealers or Nacra NA. Please help!

Thank you
  • Go to page 4 of the "parts for sale "section and find "Nacra Clearance Parts Sale". Those parts are from NACRA USA. About 20 items down the list is a couple of masts that may work on your boat. That's assuming that they are either not drilled (blank). Or are complete(not likely. ) you may have to buy a new mast base because the mast section is likely different than yours. From there, take all of the measurements of the previous locations of hardware, switch everything over. It's a lot of work. Also, due to the different bend characteristics of the Ali v carbon mast, your sail may not work with it well. But the good news is, if you're not in the top 10%of cat sailors, it probably won't matter much.
    I know this sounds pretty simplistic, but the only way to do it is to jump in and do it yourself or pay someone that knows what they are doing. There is no short answer to this one. In fact, you could find a mast from an old N6.0, 5.8 and make it work. ive seen a Hobie 18 mast and boom on a NACRA 5.0. I'm not going to tell who came up with that one;). We called the HOCRA. BLASPHEMY!!
    Don't drill unless you know it's right. Don't cut and less you know it's right . Make sure everything sealed up when you put it back together . Take some Tylenol before you start because your hands are going to be sore as hell by the time you finish .
  • Depending on your break, it may make more sense to repair your carbon mast. Its pretty common in the A-class, normally costs between $500-$1,500 on the high side. If your in the south east, send me a PM for a few contacts on that.

A new bare carbon tube from Nacra (even if they were willing to sell you one) runs about $8k. A complete Infusion mast is less than half that IIRC.

Another option is a new carbon tube from Forte, somewhere in the $2-3k range.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Thank you for the help. I've checked the Nacra clearance parts section and sent an email inquiring about one of the used masts for sale.... hopefully, I get a response! If that doesn't work, then I'll look into repairing as Bacho suggests.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.