Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Age Is Just A Number, Right?  Bottom

• I am Marty, I sail a Hobie 16, well, had her in the lake twice anyway. I am under 200 pounds and in good shape physically and I just today turned 51 years young!!!!!! Wonder how long I can continue to sail my lovely cat?!?!?! Lol!!! Was thinking I should post in the "technical help" section as to what to do to stay young and fit, lol. Joking ya know. Want to stay young and fit? Sail a cat!!!!!! Cheers everyone. I'm having a few birthday beers!!!!!

Edited by martyr on Sep 15, 2016 - 07:33 PM.

--
    Marty
    1984 Hobie 16 Redline Yellow Nationals, "Yellow Fever"
    Opelika, Al / Lake Martin
    --
  • Happy Birthday Marty!
    I have a decade on you, and it takes focus to stay fit enough to sail a cat.
    I capsized while racing last month, and climbing back onboard took all the strength I (and my crew) had.
    So I have a new exercise regimen to help bolster my upper body strength, and a new boarding technique.
    There is no way I am going to give up sailing until I quit breathing altogether.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Thanks so much, and hey we all stay young sailing cool cats!!!! I hear ya also, my life plan is to sail this baby until she or I fall apart!!!! Best wishes and happy sailing!!!

--
    Marty
    --
  • We have several (9) cats in our little beach community. Oldest sailor is 70. All the owners are over 50. I'm almost 58 and we all sail weekly (or more) from April to November.
    Most do well with getting them up and down the beach and all have flipped within a year or so, so most are pushing them a bit.
    I will admit that most do not get out on the wire, but some of us do.
    Keep sailing and just figure out ways to make it easier. Rope ladder to assist getting in after righting, beach wheels to get it up the beach, winches (yes, winches) help. Not wenches, though they can help as well, if you can find them to help the old guys.
    I plan on sailing until all my body parts give way or I cannot remember how to spell cat.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • Yes, my beach wheels are an invaluable tool for sure. I would like to add a winch to my trailer though, would make loading a whole lot easier.

--
    Marty
    --
  • martyr I would like to add a winch to my trailer though, would make loading a whole lot easier.

Definitely, I went without a winch for 20 years and when I finally added one I couldn't believe I waited. Before loading the boat onto the trailer from the water was a matter of grunting it up a little at a time, now I just hook up and winch it up.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I think the oldest person racing A-Cat Worlds this year was >85. Eventually you just have to switch to a lighter boat, it makes things much easier.
  • I used the term "51 years young" 11 years ago. The intervening years have made a difference. I don't get on the trapeze as easily, am pretty reluctant to wear a Speedo brief, and finally got beach wheels this year. I think you'll be fine for a while. Cats are still a lot of fun.

--
    Tom
    NACRA 5.7 (1984 Sail 181)
    Pennsylvania
    --
  • Happy Birthday Marty. I old enough to be your Father (85) and still sailing. I have a FX one I'm selling as I found out this summer I just not agile enough to right it. I am picking up an H17 (I've have 2 previous ones plus a half dozen other cats) Hopefully I can hang in for a couple or three more years.

Larry Burke
  • tominpaam pretty reluctant to wear a Speedo brief,

Jeez tom, warn us before you force a visual like that!
    I may need therapy!
    icon_lol

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Damon and Windwardde,
    Are you using a wind-up winch, or did you find a powered one you could waterproof?
    Did you mount it on the trailer's forward mast support?
    And from where on the cat do you pull it up onto the trailer?
    Do you winch your mast up as well?
    Thx

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --

Edited by klozhald on Sep 16, 2016 - 10:36 PM.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Good question about where and how to mount a winch. I am looking at a winch that comes with a strap already installed and is rated at 1000 pounds. I figure, mount to mast support, wrap the strap around the forward crossbar through the tramp lacing at the mast step and crank away. The winch I am.looking at is from Lowes and is less than 30 bucks.

Thanks for the Happy Birthdays yall!!!!

--
    Marty
    --
  • Re the winch
    I don't trailer my boat much, as it sits, mast up, on the beach.
    However I do winch it up the beach. I mounted a winch (hand crank) on a vertical post and run the line from winch to front beam. It's a Supercat, and pretty beefy mast support and front beam area.
    The boat comes up the beach on 2 sets of beach wheels, so it's really just using the winch to overcome the incline.

--
    Supercat 15
    Windrider 17
    Several Sunfish and Sunfish clones
    Ratboat built from Zuma and Sunfish parts
    Shallow water sailor in the Delaware Bay
    --
  • an electric winch is the way to go as we get older. even hand-cranking can turn an arm into a noodle!

http://www.harborfreight.…emote-control-61840.html

i bought a 2500lb winch with wireless remote control from harbor freight and it's made hauling my cat onto the trailer a piece of cake! i mounted it on the forward mast support and power it with a Superwinch wiring kit that i wired back to my engine. it comes with plenty of wire length.
    https://www.amazon.com/Su…Wiring-Kit/dp/B00008PWWJ

the wireless remote lets me stand near the back of the boat and guide it onto the trailer. single handed loading. i cover the winch with a little plastic when not in use, but it's stood up to the rain without a cover as well. noisy, but a small price to pay for how easy this is.
    j

Edited by arch on Sep 18, 2016 - 11:29 PM.

--
    Aquacat 12 (sold)...'87 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'03 Nacra Inter18 (sold)
    Venture 15 (sold)....'89 Nacra 5.8 (sold)...'91 Nacra 5.8NA (sold)
    '99 Nacra Inter20 (sold)
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.