Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

how fast are nacra 17s (the olympics cat) and is the hobie wildcat the fastest hobie?  Bottom

• i saw the nacra 17 promo vid and they only look like they were pulling about 15 kts tops... not very impressive in my view
  • When they were racing the worlds in Clearwater this year I was out in my 18 and jumped on the opposite end of the course and let them run me down. It was pretty impressive actually. They move along just fine. This is what it looks to have a fleet chasing after you haha
    https://i.imgsafe.org/3f4b3d4e3b.jpg
  • 15kts is unimpressive if you spend all of your time reading about Hobie 16s and 18s hitting 25 plus.

15kts is pretty respectable on a windward leeward course. My F18 does not exceed that too often unless the wind shifts hard leaving us reaching to a mark.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • it's all relative
    and it only matters that you sail better/faster than the other boats in your class
  • MN3 has the correct answer.

If you look at SCHRS Ratings, it will give you a relative relationship:
    F-18 = 1.000
    N17 = 0.993
    H-16 = 1.191
    Tornado = 0.944
    N20c = 0.875
  • (Damon keep getting a json error when I post, hence the double up)

Edited by wlrottge on Aug 19, 2016 - 11:34 AM.
  • Keep in mind that now the Olympics are over the NACRA 17 is being substantially updated. At a minimum they are adding winglets to the rudders, and there is a move to convert them to full foiling as well. So any current handicap is subject to revision in the very near future.
  • I'm working on a bolt on foiling package for the 5.7. Gonna be fast! icon_biggrin

Haha, fooled you for a minute!

--
    Tim
    Collierville (Memphis), TN
    Supercat 15--sold :(
    Hobie monocat--given
    Vanguard 15--traded for...
    Nacra 4.5--sold
    Nacra 5.7
    Hobie 14–sold to make room for...
    Supercat 17–sold
    --
  • wlrottge(Damon keep getting a json error when I post, hence the double up

Unfortunately a known issue I haven't been able to fix, I get it too. (but not every time)

To prevent double posts, submit your post, wait for the error, then refresh the page. Your post does get posted, even with the error.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Quote15kts is unimpressive if you spend all of your time reading about Hobie 16s and 18s hitting 25 plus.

So true. It's fun to post your max speed, but one has to realize that is most likely on a very short GPS leg. When I look at the data files, most of my top speeds are only a length of 20-80 meters.
    A broad reach, & a good blow will give sustained stretches of 16-18 mph.
    Sustained 15 is pretty good, especially if the wind is only 14ish or so. I'm sure the 17's could break 20 if they had smooth water & the right wind.
    So far I have not made the H18 break 21, even for a short leg. Made 20.6 broad reaching over almost 100 yds tonight during the full Moon Sail

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.