Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.0 Mast Damage.. Fixable?  Bottom

• I'm thinking of buying a 1986 Nacra 5.0 but it has a damaged mast. Does this look like it can be fixed? If so how would it be done? Anyone have any photos of a repair like this?

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l215/954interactive/00n0n_kiMY8K85kYn_1200x900_zps2ufykgyg.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l215/954interactive/00707_cq21qcxDrp2_1200x900_zpssna2dpws.jpg
  • The short answer is NO, that mast can not be fixed and don't even think about sailing it the way it is.

The only possibility, and it's hard to tell exactly where the kink is located on the mast, is if it is above the mast tang, maybe you could cut the top of the mast off and retrofit a Hobie comptip. But that's a big maybe.

I would consider that mast scrap metal.

sm
  • In the photo, it looks to be damaged just in front of the rear beam. As Dogboy says, don't sail it. The mast is likely to collapse.
    I saw a 5.2 that fixed nearly identical damage, BUT, I don't think the fix was worth the work, or $$. They cut the mast, sleeved it. It would never flex evenly again.
    We have an identical looking 5.0, just an '88. Great boat, especially when the winds gets up.
    I would think about buying it cheap, (unless sails & other big ticket items are worn/missing), then source a used bare stick. I'm not sure if a 5.2 is the same stick length, but all the early Nacras used the same extrusion. You might have to cut & move the base/top/hounds, but that is not a technically hard job. The early masts used a diamond spreader bar that goes through the mast, hard to make water tight & non adjustable.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • not worth your time unless you are a master metal worker and want a side project

Edited by MN3 on Jul 06, 2016 - 09:08 AM.
  • Easier just to find another mast if the boat is a really good deal and everything else is decent.

Where are you located? I've got a 5.2 mast that i took about 16" off the top of and it would probably work for a 5.0. Super cheap if we can meet up somewhere.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --
  • The boat is $500. The sails are mint and Trailer is in great shape. I just don't want to have it sit here and collect dust.

I'm located in Minnesota.
  • QuoteThe boat is $500

Buy it, for $400, you could part it out for double that.
    For $400 pick it up, get a decent metalworking shop to sleeve,(outside), or plug,(inside), the mast, (appx 150-200$), sail the crap out of it, & meanwhile keep your eyes peeled for a spare mast.
    If it was close, I'd go buy it right now.
    I prefer the 5.7, only because it's more versatile, & can scare you more, but there are few better recreational Cats, especially when the wind gets up, than a good 5.0.
    We double trap in 25mph, you can bury the lee hull, right up to the beam, & it comes back up.
    No boom, no boards, nothing on the tramp, what's not to like?

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • There is a 5.8 mast on Craigslist that will work fine for 400. Just trim a foot or do off to match the rigging and you are good to go. If you don't take it let me know, I may drive down and snarf it for that price!! FYI there are 2 others for said on Craigslist for 2500 and 3500 in Minneapolis area.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I'm on the other side of the lake. If we figure out how to get this old shortened 5.2 mast over to you it's yours for whatever that cost is. I paid $50 for it and got what I needed, I'm willing to sacrifice it to keep a boat on the water. Let me know the length of the 5.0 mast and I'll confirm that it is long enough.

Feel free to shoot me a if you are interested (remove the spaces)

c santana 823 at gmail

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --
  • QuoteFeel free to shoot me a if you are interested (remove the spaces)

If you "remove the spaces"

Feel free to shoot mea if you are interested -
    WHO IS MEA? don't shoot her! talk it out, there is a better way

Feel free to shoot me a if you are interested (remove the spaces)

c santana 823 at gmail

Email sent

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.