Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mast raising  Bottom

• I recently purchased a Hobie 21 Sport Cruiser...

There is a gin pole that inserts into the mast to raise the mast with the help of the block and tackle. I have watched the video repeatedly. Where the gin pole inserts into the mast, there is a riveted plate that is starting to buckle. The gin pole is not secure. It rests at an angle. Applying pressure from the block and tackle starts to bend stuff instead if lifting the mast.

Broken or am I being an idiot about something obvious?

Other ideas about how to raise the mast?

Thanks for your help and advice.

Tim, who paid too much.
  • Congrats on the new boat. I raise the mast with 2 people and no block and tackle. I haven't seen the 21SC gin pole setup. I would recommend checking out the Hobiecat official forums. They have a 21SE/SC specific forum that is moderated by Hobie employees that know their stuff about model specific design questions. With how rare the 21's are that forum is a great resource. This site is awesome too, but less 21 specific content. Enjoy your new ride.

Where are you located?

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I agree with above, I would suggest you post your question on the Hobie forum or contact Matt Miller directly. He frequently posts to the forum and was the designer (or one of the designers) of the H21SC.

Of course you can always manually raise the mast, but the H21SC has a pretty unique hoisting system that appears to work quite well in the videos.

sm
  • I made a system for my Bimare F18HT based on my Farrier F25C setup which I also do solo. In essence, I run a line from the gin pole to an eye up the mast. This eye 6 ft up the mast is also secured outboard by 2 lines laterally inline with the mast pivot point to prevent side to side motion. Here is the setup (youtube video) I made for my Bimare F18HT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4cLtC26aRM

Hope this helps,

James
    H17
    F25C
  • Thanks, everyone. I did post this on the Hobie forum too. I think I have it figured out. I think there was too much slack in the temporary gin stays.

Hopefully she'll be ready to sail tomorrow.

Scott, I grew up in the Chicago area but have lived in SW Florida for 24 years.

Tim
  • where do you sail?
    QuoteScott, I grew up in the Chicago area but have lived in SW Florida for 24 years.
  • I'd recommend only using the gin pole to raise and lower the mast if there are no girls present. Otherwise man up and sling that beast into position like it's nothing. They love watching that
  • I use the gin pole and can raise the mast on our H21SC singlehanded. Attaching the gin pole lines AND the trapeze cables to the cords coming out of the ends of the front crossbeam are critical to keeping the mast from swinging from side to side as it is being raised or lowered. I made that mistake the first time.
    You may appreciate these images of 4 guys from Brazil who sailed two H21SC from Chile around Cape Horn to Rio de Janeiro.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/betopandiani/sets/72157623522968671/show/

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.