Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 16 downhaul advice  Bottom

• Any advantages to upgrading the mains downhaul system on a Prindle 16? The setup that I currently have is just the the standard cheek blocks and a cleat - I can get the majority of the wrinkles out... Anyone have any experience or advice with upgrading and if so, what are the advantages if any. I've always heard to really snug down the main in high winds and loosen in light?
  • I don't know anything about prindle masts but the downhaul (aka Cunningham ) is used to shape the sail

in med to heavy air, by downhauling the snot out of the sail, the mast will bend (above the spreaders if you have them) and utilize the cut of a modern sail to flatten the top of the sail and let air flow off with less "power" (aka depower the sail)

On more modern cats, the mast is much more flexable than the old hobie 16 and 18 masts were. The old hobie 16 and 18 downhauls were used to smooth out the sail more than bend the mast and flatten the top of the sail. I THINK the prindle mast is pretty similar but again, I am not really sure.

IF the masts are the same (robust, hard to bend) your upgrade would not be very noticeable and perhaps your money could be better spent on an upgrade that you would notice (new sails, new blocks, new rudders, etc)

Quote I've always heard to really snug down the main in high winds and loosen in light?

in general ... "the hard she blows, the tight they (the sails) go"
  • I have wondered about this for my Prindle 16. Yes, the mast is stiff, but I have read and believe you will be able to control mastbend some, just not as much as with softer masts. If you just to add a triple block at the top with a hook to grab the tack, it will be much easier to reef the main if needed. Then, if you add one more jamb cleat, you can go from 5:1 up to a 6:1 purchase. The investment is not necessarily that much.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.