Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Shipping Hobie mast  Bottom

• Trying to get a H14 mast from Chicago area to San Francisco. Any body with ideas or options?

Is separating the comptip an option? Removing the rivets seems simple enough. Are the two parts glued also? How much of a PITA is it to break the glue bond.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by ta4j on May 14, 2016 - 12:56 PM.
  • The Comptip is glued in, not impossible to separate but I don't think it will help you. The shipping company is going to price you by weight as well as dimensions, LxWxH. If you shorten your L, putting the Comptip along side will increase your W or H. Hub to Hub shipping with any national carrier like R and L or Yellow should be reasonable, it's narrow so they can fit it easily in a loaded truck. Might want to put top load only sign on it, no guarantee they will but I'd rather have it sitting on top than on the floor with a bunch of palleted goods loaded/unloaded with a forklift.
  • Check uship or other similar sites. Had my boat hauled across country for about what my gas money would have been. Might find someone to haul fairly cheap if you are flexible on timing. That mast has been on and off CL for at least a year.

The guy that hauled mine was a retired insurance agent that liked driving to keep busy. He was hauling a motorcycle, car bumpers, and a dog, plus my boat, between Sacramento and Chicago. Someone with a rack or a trailer might do it cheap.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • It seems you could find one in your area for about $100
  • Find someone localish who is going to a regatta in Chicago and have them drive it back. At least in the A-Cat fleet it's common to show up at a regatta and have people swapping gear from all over the place. The cost to ship long thin parts (masts, tiller extensions) is often as much as the parts cost.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.