Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mast post/Dolphin striker frozen in very loose state!  Bottom

• icon_rolleyes
    I can't adjust the mast post since the sleeve that prevents over-tightening protrudes below the crossbeam and is frozen. cannot tighten lower bolt at all to tighten dolphin striker. Its very loose with mast up so all the pressure is in the center of the beam ( NOT GOOD )
    I don't want to sail the boat again until i can get things tight all the way around. Tightening the striker outside bolts by removing the end caps is near impossible being that the hull mount and sleeve block it. What are my options? Use a cutting wheel and cut the post in half then replace it and the sleeve? leave the top bolt loose so the mast forces the post downward and outward? Disassemble the entire front crossbar and remove from boat? buy a whole new crossbar from a used boat? I'm hoping to go sailing this summer without throwing several hundred dollars at it.
    Any input is greatly appreciated!!

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • I would check the Hobie forums
    I am sure others have had this problem
    Or best contact Matt Miller at Hobie Cat
    he has always been very helpful and probably has the most knowledge of anyone about any Hobie Cat
  • Tim, from what you're describing, the compression sleeve has worked its way out of the bottom of the "through" hole, very troublesome. The compression sleeve prevents the crossbeam from being compressed so you are going to have to remove the crossbeam to access that sleeve. Hobie might have a replacement sleeve slightly larger in diameter to prevent extrusion through bottom hole, if not its going to take some ingenuity to repair, keep us posted.

R
  • Hmm, a repeat?

Edited by the-renovator on May 06, 2016 - 10:25 AM.
  • the-renovatorTim, from what you're describing, the compression sleeve has worked its way out of the bottom of the "through" hole, very troublesome.

Actually what he's described is the compression sleeve seizing onto the striker post due to galvanic corrosion. It is a very common issue with Hobies that use the captive ball dolphin striker arrangement and are sailed in salt water. Once the sleeve has seized onto the post, you can't adjust the post up and down and therefore can't easily adjust the tension on the dolphin striker unless you pull the crossbar off the boat and tighten the nuts on the ends of the striker rod (inside the crossbar).

sm

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.