Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Squarehead main on older Hobies -- pro and cons  Bottom

• There seems to be a lot of different opinions about upgrading Hobie 17 or 18 with a modern style squarehead sail. I've got a Pentex SuperR for my H17 mainly because it is bigger then the stock. Otherwise I've found my H17 quite underpowered, especially in light to medium air.

A few years back, all squarehead reviews were very enthusiastic. Now, some on this forum report going back to the pinheads.

So, what are the pro and cons for the squareheads on H17 or 18? I am not taking about class legal, as they obviously are not.

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • I think it is the best upgrade you can make to a cat, especially if you are feeling under powered. I loved mine on my 18, in all conditions. It came with the boat and was not an additional purchase though. The only time it wasn't my favorite was sailing downwind in heavy air, but the pros are many and the cons are few.

When it's time for a new main for my Gcat 5.7 I'm excited to get Prindle 18 square top
  • Love my squarehead on my 5.2 but the boat was pretty powered up to begin with. There was a big learning curve when I was starting out and soloing with it is a bit of a bear. I feel I'm competent enough on my 5.7 now that I'll probably get one in the next few years.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Ordered a prototype square top last season for my Prindle 18 with the same area as original sail. It was definitely faster and all the guys complained. This year the entire fleet (5 boats) went square top 6 oz Dacron with color. Pictures as soon as we get the boats on the water. Big difference just lying on the ground between the 40 year old 4 oz colored Dacron rag and the new 6 oz sails. Whereas my body looks old, bent & wrinkled, my boat looks fresh, new and modern. Pete
  • Pete,
    Post us a pic of you, old and wrinkly, next to your new sail, all crisp and clean.

Dave
  • Pete,
    Post us a pic of you, old and wrinkly, next to your new sail, all crisp and clean.

Dave
  • Pete,

Dave
  • Pete,

Dave
  • If I had a solid h18 mast I would go with a square head but with a comp tip going to stay with a pinhead based on John Lunn's (hobie forum) experience with a square head on his sx18....has a very hard time getting a tight leach without extreme mast rotation

--
    Randy Neubauer
    Apple Valley, MN
    2001 H18M
    --
  • Who designed the sail?

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Sails were designed by Chip Buck at Whirlwind. We wanted to keep our same DPN number and we certainly don't need more (sq-top area) on our 15 mile reach home from Anacapa Is Race in 20 knots & 4-5' seas.
  • I'm in need of new sails for my recently purchased '94 P-19. I got a quote from Murrays but they stated the 6oz Challenge sailcloth was terrible. I don't really race but I like the idea of a square head for the light air conditions of summer on the Cheasapeake Bay.

I really want a sail to last as long as possible and I've heard the laminates don't last as long, primarily used for high end racing and discarded after a few seasons of heavy racing. Could somebody elaborate or correct me if I'm way of base please?

Last question- I'm wanting to put a jib furler on the boat, however will it be compatible will the vertical battens in the sail? Can I use the jib without the battens or will it flap the leech to no end?

Todd

--
    Todd

Virginia
    --
  • Any sail maker could change out the battens to allow furling. You just need to state that intention when you order one.

A far as laminate durability, The Dacron will be "useable" for many years longer all things being equal. Just consider how many 80's Hobie are still running around on used sails. However as far as a competitive life of these sails, its only a season or so. The laminate options will deteriorate over time, the mylar film holding the fibers in place eventually comes apart. If you take good care of the sails, keep flogging to a minimum, minimize chafing these still can still live 10 or 15 years. The laminates will hold their competitive shape longer than the dacron.

As far as the 6oz dacron from Murrays being "terrible", did they say why?

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Thanks for the response. Murrays stated the Challange brand sailcloth was terrible in the 60oz. But as a leading sailcloth manufacture, I have a hard time digesting the comment. No, he didn't state why.

I want to primarily maximize performance of the boat's potential and a square top laminate seems the logical choice. I would prefer a colored sail other than a the laminate greys, but I'll settle for better performance over a color palette. Could you suggest any other sailmakers that focus on beach cats that you've had great experience with?

--
    Todd

Virginia
    --
  • tsteinMurrays stated the Challange brand sailcloth was terrible in the 60oz.

Or he means, the Dacron it is terrible just for the a squarehead. Most of the squareheads are made from laminates. My main is Pentex. It requires more care, such as nice rolling without wrinkles.

Any opinions on using Dacron for a squarehead? Bad idea?

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • My Whirlwind fathead is 6 oz dacron, no issues at all. It's also not radial cut. Love it and was about 1/3 cheaper than a laminate at the time.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • In a conversation I had with a sailor stated the best longevity is the Dacron and the best for holding the shape longer is the Mylar. If there was a choice between SLO sailmakers or Whirlwind, which one would you suggest?

I read another post from somebody who had a horrible customer experience with SLO, maybe just an isolated case or something deeper?? I want to pull the trigger on the purchase soon since it will take months.
    I appreciate any and all recommendations.

Cheers

--
    Todd

Virginia
    --
  • I'm super happy with Chip at Whirlwind and I believe the feeling is pretty much universal. Great service and the sail is much better than I could have hoped A++. Don't know anything about SLO's sails. I have a tramp that was made by them and its pretty decent for the price.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • WolfmanI'm super happy with Chip at Whirlwind and I believe the feeling is pretty much universal.

+1 All the reviews on Chip are good to excellent. I am very happywith my main from Whirlwind.

WolfmanDon't know anything about SLO's sails. I have a tramp that was made by them and its pretty decent for the price.

+1 My tramp and wings covers are from SLO and have no complains. I've read some mixed reviews about the SLO, but not experienced anything negative. I think they would do a decent job with a basic (horizontal cut) main/jib, but not necessarily anything fancy, such as radial fathead in a laminate.

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.