Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Wings on a Tornado???  Bottom

• Considering building a set of wings for the new Tornado. I have seen a few 20 foot cats here that had a set added. Other than folding and width, and assuming structural integrity, any downside to bolting on a set? They will be custom built in a shop I have access to..

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • I think the only downside of wings is how much more walking on the deck you do. Not sure if adding deck padding to that area would help, I wonder if that's why this tornado has it. Good luck and please post pics of the project if you decide to give it a shot.
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-NIA3IfXj9Kw/Um3NqwbG--I/AAAAAAAAHl0/jhZtYIW1dN0/s1600/IMG_3378s.jpg

Edited by car_guy on Apr 09, 2016 - 06:07 AM.
  • My 6.0 with custom wings
    http://www.sailhoneymoon.com/IMAGES/6O.JPG
    http://www.sailhoneymoon.com/IMAGES/3.JPG
  • Totally unnecessary and will add at least 40# to a 375# boat, not to mention the cost. Think about the beach handling--sliding a heavier boat up & down beach, walking around a 3' extension. The boat is extremely well thought out now--sail it a season first. Pete
  • Pros
    They add a ton of room to the boat. you can store 4 drybags and a huge cooler, anchor, radio and tiki bar on the deck and they are not in the way
    they make moving the boat (on wheels) easier just grab a wing corner - also easier handeiling on and while setting
    they allow you have lots of weight out (double trap) by just sitting and hiking out a bit - you can always sit inboard when it's light air
    they have a nice safety zone for kids - on a wing in front of the shroud
    you can sit/stand / stretch out- much easier on the back
    they look insanely cool

Cons
    Cost
    they add a few minutes of set up or break down time and a bit more tie downlines
    you need a few more feet of beach parking area
    20lbs extra per side (not that big a deal. Take your boom and sail off the boat before you push it up the beach)

I would agree with Pete, probably not necessary (but nice to have) and it wouldn't hurt to sail the boat a few dozen times before you install wings - and learn the boat - if your an experienced T sailor - go for it

One issue is that crew think they can get on board the boat and sit on the wing the entire time... and i have to always remind my crew to come inboard during a tack or when we are leaving a beach. All weight (crew) must be in the right spot when your taking off, or parking... or your gonna have a hard time (at least on my boat)

If you have access to a shop and time. On rainy days you can still fabricate them) but on sunny days - get some Time On the Water
  • Thanks. Getting a bunch of time on the water is probably a priority.

As a design engineer and a maker, I tend to think new custom parts are the answer to everything....just ask the wife on that. . icon_wink

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.