Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mystere Catamaran 5.0 XL - Hull Repair  Bottom

• Hi,

So I got 3 questions regarding repairs for my Mystere Catamaran. Please note I have never made any type of fiberglass repair but have watch extensive youtube video about how to do it... for what its worth...

1- Delamination on Hull

Mystere cat have a V shape hull. On one of my hull the back lower corner suffers from delamination and I am unsure on how to fix it.

I would like to avoid removing everything as this is my first repair and I do not mind getting professional help after the season if the repairs dont hold.

On the pictures bellow I have highlightedin red the delamination line in red, there is also a very small hole that goes inside the hull.

When I started to sand I tought this was a small repair but it turned out bigger and bigger untill water started to drip...

https://www.anony.ws/i/2016/04/02/Hull_FiberglassDelamination.jpg

https://www.anony.ws/i/2016/04/02/Hull_FiberglassRed.jpg

I am thinking of dooing the following:

• Epoxy with a small amount of coaxial filler injected with syringe in delaminations cracks and holes
    • Wait some time see if it holds
    • Fiberglass over the affected area going to the other side(Should I sand more to cover more unaffected areas?)

2- Hull blade adhesive is missing

Under my hull theres a metal blade that protects the catamaran when beaching it... quite usefull for protecting the hull in area where no sand can be found.

The blade is currently joined to the hull with some sort of resistent but yet somewhat elastic coacking (No idea what the product is... realy)

Notice on the picture on the right side the adhesive is missing

https://www.anony.ws/i/2016/04/02/Hull_Blade.jpg

I am thinking to use WestSystem 655-8 G/flex Epoxy ... it's a type of epoxy that is less strong but apparently more malleable. It is however most probably much less elastic than what ever is currently on the blade. Any idea what I should use?

3- Winterize cat / emptying water?

Mystere 5.0 cat have a strange hull shape and the water plug is located at the back on the top... this makes emptying fully the water very hard. Any idea what I should do...

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/z/q7oAAOSwgQ9VzhV~/$_35.JPG

Tools currently at my disposal

• WestSystem Epoxy & Hardner 105/205
    • Fiberglass biaxial 15oz
    • WestSystem 655-8 G/flex Epoxy
    • WestSystem Colloidal Silica Filler 406
    • WestSystem low density Filler 407
  • Quote this makes emptying fully the water very hard. Any idea what I should do...

There is no easy solution. Unless you have a steep beach, as you know it is difficult to drain.. I have 2 Nacra that use the same skeg hull shape.
    There is also a bulkhead, just where the keel starts to rise, making it tough to insert a tube down through the drain hole.
    I cut a hole in the top deck, & installed a hatch. I have a small hand suction pump,(used for pumping out floats on small airplanes)with a piece of garden hose. I just remove hatch cover, insert hose & pump dry.
    I should have installed the hatches as soon as I got the boat, would have saved much agravation.

Please edit your post, & use different photos. The ones posted come out all grainy, hard to see what is going on. The fix is fairly easy, but I would not use colloidal silica, it is a b*tch to sand.
    Use angle grinder to remove damaged material,(looks like you will grind a slot). It will be much easier if you can access through a hatch. Tape a piece of plastic sheeting to bottom of hull to prevent resin leaking through. Fill groove with some thickened epoxy, then lay a few layers of wetted matting inside.
    It can be done without removing hull.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.