Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Idea for a Righing System integrated with a paddle  Bottom

• I was thinking of a way to combine two systems on board the H16. I envision a paddle that will fit between the pylons (6 ft) and have internal cords, and notches on each end to make the securing to a pylon or cross beam easy with a single line. I put some images on the photo album showing the concept. It would be nearly a SUP length paddle. Hopefully it would stow under the tramp enough not to get in the way, and be easy enough to release from the paddle end, move the connection to the top hull, and move weight out on the paddle. It would probably be a bit heavier than a normal paddle, but I figure the righting function would be used more often. I might make one but have lots of boat work to be a priority. I contacted Hobie but they don't want non patented ideas, so we are on our own with this one. I may experiment with a paddle with external cords to get it dialed in, then move them inside. Have this been done before? If it works we can call it the "Pepper Paddle Pole"! icon_biggrin

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • I'm not completely sure what you are describing but there has indeed been a righting system made from a paddle, actually an oar.

It was called Gary's Solo Right designed by Gary Freisen who did years of trials to fine tune the design and then sold them for a time.

Video of one of Gary's tests at.

https://youtu.be/hCbihZsXESg

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Yes, it sounds like you are reinventing the wheel..
    It would be innovative if you address correctly some challenges though. In my opinion they are:
    - righting system easy and fast to use and to store after use
    - paddle easy to use and to store after use

Most often I use my paddle to save short distances, for instance when launching area is protected from wind. I would not untie the paddle from under the tramp for that, I'd rather take a telescopic paddle from the tramp bag and store it quickly after use. Or just use the rudders.

The hobie gary righting system is what I like the most, because it´s more effective than the classic righting pole articulated in the middle of the front beam. The reason is that you are above the former and hanging down from the latter, which means two things: in the hobie gary you can place your weight further out and also you will touch the water later. This means that the hobie gary pole can be shorter. Saving the complexity of the articulation is also a plus. So the pending challenge (to my understanding) is ease of use and resetting after use.

Here is what I did, not quite perfect but good enough so far.

The pole is stored under the tramp, parallel to the hulls, at one side, tied with bungee at front and rear beams. If you keep it at the middle of the tramp it hurts your feet or knees when you walk over it. Specially when stepping the mast. I guess it could also be shorter and stored across one of the beams, that could be an improvement. ( I think it's the standard hobie gary concept)

In my case all the lines are not kept at the pole but under the tramp. You can deploy it from either side and the pole has a carabiner to attach at a preset loop on the line ( one loop at each side). Initially I intended to manange the line with bungee, so that you don't have to worry about it after righting the boat, but it ended up too complex because of the considerable length to recover. Now it's a combination of bungee and rolling the line around the pole, which is not totally up to my expectations

What remains a bit complex is to recover the pole after righting the boat. It may seem easy in theory, but the boat will be normally moving and the pole is under the tramp, not quite easy to reach. Finding the right way takes some practice, as I prefer to be sailing, I haven't practiced that part very often.

Edited by Andinista on Mar 19, 2016 - 01:43 PM.
  • Thanks for describing your system .

Disconnecting when the boat turns upright I haven't addressed yet..

Regarding re-inventing the wheel...yes I have been known to do that. At 6'5" and 260# I haven't really needed this, but like the challenge and some backup in case we go over in bad conditions.

--
    John

Nacra 5.0
    CT
    --
  • I wish there was a good way to let people know that you do not need help when practicing. Several times when practicing capsizing and righting in moderate conditions people have gone out of there way to stop what they are doing and bring over their power boat to help. This is with me giving thumbs up and 'ok' hand signals. One time a guy on his deck got up, went to his dock on the canal, grabbed his center console and drove around to the bayside to help me, by the time he got to me I had already righted the boat and recapsized a few times. I appreciate the concern but don't like wasting peoples time when I am just out there goofing off.
  • I agree with the need to practice. Last capsize I could not even deploy the righting pole because I had made it too complicated and after a while I forgot how to use it.... Also after I could right it (with the help of a power boat....), the rudders got jammed and the boat started sailing fast and I was left behind... Two cat sailors could get on a power boat and could actually jump on board and try to right it. But two or three times when it was almost up it would start sailing and capsize again. Reason? Cunningham was tight.. Practice also helps remember things: I knew about that but totally forgot..
    Last but not least, one thing that I learned from an incident that is worth to share: We were two, so no need to use a righting pole, just righting line. I took the line and my crew took it too, right below my hands. On the last millisecond before starting the move, I realized that the line was rolled around one of my hands.. just above my crew hands... I cried STOP like crazy and could avoid disaster.. I still have bad dreams about it...
    icon_mad

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.