Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

am I to big for a beach cat?  Bottom

• I'm looking to learn how to sail so no experience, really like the speed and fun you can have on cats.
    My concern is I am 6ft 7in and about 330lbs. I'd like to have a boat I can sail solo but may have someone with me which would put to crew weight around 550. Can anyone recommend a cat that would work?
  • Hello 06commonrail and welcome to TheBeachcats.com.

Happy to hear you are interested in learning to sail.

Before we jump into recommending a particular beachcat we'll need a little more information about you and your sailing area and plans.

What area do you plan to sail? From a beach or from a marina?

You are obviously a big dude but (how to put this delicately) are you a 6'7" 330 pound 22 year old linebacker in great shape or retirement age and way over your "fighting weight"? Just so you know, I'm also 6-7 and have weighed and sailed at 300 pounds, currently at 230 (subject to change over the winter). icon_biggrin

What's your name, or should I keep calling you 06commonrail?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • My names Tim I'm 28 and built like a linebacker. I live in FL spacecoast, so would be in a river launching from the beach. Just looking to start a new hobby, just looking for some fun, learning to sail. So anything from just cruising around to getting to get the most speed/adrenaline.
  • you need a bigger boat for sure but you should be ok
    you want a boat with large hull volume and larger sail plan to accommodate

i would recommend a mystere 5.5 (meters) or 6.0 or nacra of a similar size
  • Mystere 5.5 for sure, we have a large gentleman at our club with one of these and and he has no issues.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • I will recommend a Hobie 18 with wings. I am also in the tall sailor club, 6'8" ~220lbs. I love the seating position of the wings versus on the trampoline, plus big enough to for 3 people but at your size can sail solo without issue once you get experience. I had a H18 for years for these same reasons. They are also fairly inexpensive to learn on and hold their value well. The other 18' boats out there should work for you too. I would avoid boats under 18' at your size.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Glad to hear I have some options. Found a few of the nacra somewhat local, haven't seen any of the mystere in the US. But I'll keep looking.
    Thanks for the recommendations.
  • With my 290 lbs I had a Prindle 18-2 as a starter-catamaran.
    Fun boat, affordable, no dagger-boards but kick-up boards.
    Convenient, and You can make it as "technical" as You like.
    Soloed it for 4 years, it was outrageous fun !!
    Taking crew is hard in medium/low wind speeds .. in our
    weight-range ;-(
    Thats why I stepped up to a Tornado, another learning curve.

Grtz, André

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • Supercats have big, buoyant hulls, a 17 would be a good solo boat, a 19 better for two. A 20 is probably too much to start with. Probably easier to find than a Mystere.

Dave
  • I'm 240 and regularly sail my Nacra 5.7 solo and with a crew weight over 500 lbs. It does great, is a little simpler to solo without boards or boom and has a nice open tramp area. The hobie 18 or Nacra 5.5 or bigger are likely good options for you also as are the 18-19ft prindles. I wouldn't start on a 20 footer. .

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • 06commonrailGlad to hear I have some options. Found a few of the nacra somewhat local, haven't seen any of the mystere in the US. But I'll keep looking.
    Thanks for the recommendations.

Where are you?
    there are many around here (tampa area)
    - http://asnstudios.com/images/mmy.jpg

Edited by MN3 on Nov 09, 2015 - 10:56 AM.
  • I'm in the Melbourne area about a half hour south of cocoa beach
  • Here is a Mystere 5.5 in Clearwater http://tampa.craigslist.o…/pnl/boa/5267832417.html

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • 06commonrailI'm in the Melbourne area about a half hour south of cocoa beach

cool -that's about due east from here.. There used to be mystere dealers here, there are lots of them on this coast and a few on yours.

that boat above is mine and for sale
    That boat has carried 4 adults and gear

my friend has a 6.0 with wings for sale (with or without wings)

let me know if your interested or have questions

Edited by MN3 on Nov 09, 2015 - 04:00 PM.
  • QuoteI will recommend a Hobie 18 with wings. I am also in the tall sailor club, 6'8" ~220lbs.

OK, I just acquired an H18 Magnum, with wings. I am only 170lb, 5'11" Will I suck? Not be able to right it? icon_biggrin

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Edchris177
    QuoteI will recommend a Hobie 18 with wings. I am also in the tall sailor club, 6'8" ~220lbs.

OK, I just acquired an H18 Magnum, with wings. I am only 170lb, 5'11" Will I suck? Not be able to right it? icon_biggrin

I needed a bag to right my h18 (no wings)
  • [quote=Edchris177]
    Quote Will I suck? Not be able to right it?

Don't know if you'll suck, but I doubt if you'd be able to right a Hobie 18 Magnum alone at 170lb's unless you use a large righting bag or something like Gary's Solo Right.

Stick to light air if you are solo.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • We just had our last cat regatta and the two Hobie 18s, sailed solo, seemed to do just fine in high gusty winds. I sailed my Hobie 16 solo (crew bailed on me - worthless kids), came close to flipping it a few times, and had a hard time getting it to move forward a couple of times (had a blast though and came in 2nd place). So the 18 might be more stable than a smaller cat.
    Buy a righting bag, flip the boat, and practice righting.

Does anyone know if a slightly smaller sail can be put on the Magnum? might help.

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.