Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.0 Bridle Wire Attachment  Bottom

• New to the twist shackle idea, I wanted to make certain it was configured as per the manual. The upper attachment appears to be as the manual intended:

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=120160&g2_serialNumber=3

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=120149&g2_serialNumber=3

I don't find a photo in the manual of the lower attach point, tang and hardware. Here is what came with my boat:

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=120157&g2_serialNumber=3

The wire is attached to the tang with a 3/16" bow shackle. The shackle is so wide at the pin end that the thimble pulls on it slightly sideways? The hole in the tang is 1/4" so the 3/16" shackle pin makes for a rather sloppy fit. Can someone verify that this is the proper hardware and if not identify/specify what the factory supplied?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by leeboweffect on Oct 22, 2015 - 11:53 PM.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    Chrysler Dagger 14 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • Normally the bottom of the bridle is a fork end that you just pin to the front connection. In a pinch however, what you have will work. I don't think there is a fitting that would center that shackle any better.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • THe do sell a narrow shackle. http://www.apsltd.com/narrow-shackle-3-16.html http://www.apsltd.com/shackle-3-16-pin-7.html

Edited by Wolfman on Oct 23, 2015 - 12:06 AM.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • A fork is the factory setup. Your bridals have been changed, & they went to the thimble because it is cheaper than buying the marine fork.
    I have several sets, send me your length, I'll send you a set for the cost of postage.
    Using what you have, go to your local hardware store & pick up 4 of those little hard black washers that are used in taps to seal the flow,(20 cents or less each). Some are beveleed, but some are flat, & 1/4" thick. Put one on each side of the tang, & it will keep the shackle centered. They are tough as hell, & will last years.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Thanks Dave for researching and suggesting alternatives to the bow shackle. I think your first suggestion above is the way to go with the wires I currently have on the boat (with thimbles):

https://pull01-apsltd.netdna-ssl.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/f/rf614.jpg

Thanks Ed for your suggestion on the washers and the generous offer on wires. I have a second set of wires with forks that came with an '84 parts boat that I bought:

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=120166&g2_serialNumber=3

The wires with forks are slightly shorter than the wires with thimbles (pull to pull). I'm going to stick with the thimbles and twist shackle for now.

Does anyone know where I can find the factory standing rigging lengths for the boat? On inland lakes here in light to moderate air I don't normally rig for much mast rake, usually about 3 deg.. Right now the the boat is around 5 deg. and I'm in the last (bottom) hole on the forestay adjuster (adjusted it down to take out rake from the photo above). In other words, I can't get to 3 deg. without a shorter forestay. Does this seem right?

Edited by leeboweffect on Oct 23, 2015 - 11:48 PM.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • QuoteThe wires with forks are slightly shorter than the wires with thimbles

If you have them, put them on & be done with it. You can tinker all year, or sail, unless you prefer the tinkering to actual sailing icon_smile .
    If you do the math, it's all high school trig(just assume a 500lb load), you will find that the slightly different angles that the two different lengths give, don't amount to a mouse fart in a hurricane.
    You still achieve the desired mast rake via a 10 hole adjuster between bridals & forestay. If the forked bridals are slightly shorter, that will DECREASE your rake slightly.
    As to rake, 3-4-5, so what?
    It's a 30 year old boat, with 30 year sails, & a non Olympic skipper at the wheel. Spending more time on the water will make you go faster than obsessing over a degree or two of mast rake.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • I agree with Chris, if you have a shorter set with the forks use those. If they have forks on both ends then use shackles there the forestay attaches. If you need more length for rake use the old hobie 16 trick and add a second 10 hole chainplate. I actually use 1 10 hole chainplate and a sta-master turnbuckle to get the right rake and tension my rig.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Thanks Dave. I read somewhere on here that the dolphin striker rod threaded portion is supposed to be 3/4 - 1" between the top of the top nut and bottom of the ball. Mine measures 1-1/4" so that is also contributing to the standing rigging appearing to be a bit short.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • Yeah you can cut the rod down, but I've never bothered, mine sit at least 1.5" above the beam. The rigging may be right for you, it just depends on how much rake you want. I only run 2-3' of rake on my 5.7, but boats without daggers tend to like more rake. It all depends on what you like.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Thanks Dave

I don't intend to cut the rod down either, at least in the foreseeable future, just noticed it after I read the spec..

Inland lakes where I sail have very little wave/chop. I generally set my rake like this:

1 - 3 deg. (angle between the deck of the port hull at the center between the crossbars and the mast. I use a typical angle finder for this) in light to moderate conditions up to about 8 kts..

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81ZL-SjqxPL._SX355_.jpg

4 - 8 deg. in 9 kts. and up.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • Edchris177I have several sets, send me your length, I'll send you a set for the cost of postage.

I decided to try the forked set of bridles today. To my dismay, they are shorter than the thimbled set so much so that I can't connect the forestay even with the adjuster all the way in the top hole. Measuring pull-to-pull:

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=120170&g2_serialNumber=4

The thimbled set is: wire1 = 49", wire2 = 48-3/4"

The forked set is: wire1 = wire2 = 47-1/4"

I expected the forked set to be even longer than the thimbled set as it eliminates the twist toggle. Ed, Dave (other 5.0 owners welcome to chime in) could you check your forked set lengths and let me know what you find?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by leeboweffect on Oct 31, 2015 - 01:02 AM.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --
  • From the lengths you posted, I am wondering if the PO used roller furling,(requiring a shorter forestay). This shorter stay makes the appx 47"=49" bridals to short.
    We sailed the 5.7 today,(yes, we are still sailing up here). I pulled two sets of bridals off the equipment wall, & also measured the actual bridals on the N5.0. I did not measure the N5.7.
    I did not "stretch" the wires, so the measurements might be off 1/8".
    All wires are marine forks on one end, thimble on the other.
    47 1/4"
    48 1/4"
    49 1/2" - (What is on the 5.0 now). We used a Harken furler, & the original forestay. This results in significant rake.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Ed, verified the bridle wire and forestay specs. (lengths for new replacement wires) for the 5.0:

Bridle Wire = 49-1/2"

Forestay = 221"

So, my thimbled set is very close. Haven't checked my forestay yet.

--
    Hobie 16 (3 formerly)
    MacGregor 25 (formerly)
    NACRA 5.0 (currently)
    High Point, NC
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.