Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Rigging a Catyak?  Bottom

• Bought this used, never seen it rigged. We have sailed it, but I'm sure I have some of the rigging wrong.

I believe I need to change the halyard attachment point on the upper boom to get the sail higher. It's now only about 20 inches of the trampoline, and some of the photos I've now seen on this site have people sitting up under the sail -- so I assume we have to go higher.

Other mystery to me is how to rig the sheet. There is a pulley on the lower boom, so I assume the running part of the sheet (that I'll be holding) goes through the pulley and then attaches somewhere on the boat. We tied it to the middle of the rear crossbeam, but that interferes with the tiller. Is there supposed to be a harness over the tiller or something?

I'd love a photo of how the sheet is to be connected.

I will say that even with the problems of sailing on my back and having to flip the sheet under the till on each come about, I had a lot of fun on my first sails with it...

Thanks much,

David

Edited by dunshed on Aug 16, 2015 - 02:14 AM.
  • https://www.flickr.com/photos/69918895@N00/6024470568/
  • We had one decades ago. If I remember well, the sheet was threaded from center of the rear beam to the pulley and to your hand. It wasn't quite comfortable and it didn't have a any cleat to lock it. Today I would simply make a 2:1 system like for cat jibs. Easy on ebay or maybe thebeachcats.com.
    Your tiller shouldn't interfere. Maybe you will have to shorten the tiller arms.
    Also consider to add shrouds, just a decent line no need for wire.
  • We've have been the owner of one since they were new. I'm restoring ours this year. The rigging has never been disassembled so I will try to get a picture of it next time we're in Michigan. We're making a replacement tramp, replacing most of the hardware, cleaning the sail, polishing all the aluminum and hoping to clean up and revitalize the plastic pontoons.

I had such a good time as a kid sailing this thing around the lake. Now that our kids are almost old enough to sail it, I want to pass it's use on to them!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.