Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

First Cat suggestions  Bottom

• I've been a monohull sailor for some time, mostly 24 to 32 feet, but have now moved to Michigan and left those boats behind. I'm considering purchasing a cat to do some smaller lake sailing with a possibility of a trip out to Lake Michigan on occasion. I would like to be able to take young grandkids out, but also would like to be able to sail with a couple of adults. I've been looking at a used GCat 5.7, but am also considering a Hobie Getaway, mainly because of the forward tramp space on both of these. Obviously I can save money upfront by purchasing the used GCat over a getaway. I plan on storing the boat in a pole barn and then trailering it to be launched. I don't plan on doing much racing initially. :)
    Any suggestions between these two cats or other options I should consider? Also, what should I be looking out for on a used GCat? Thanks ahead of time.
  • I had a GCAT 5.7 for several years and deeply regret selling it. Just check for softspots and also make sure that the rudders are intact. That boat can carry a bunch of people comfortably for cruising around or is pretty fast with one or two. The advantage the getaway has is the plastic hulls are very durable, but that 16 foot boat probably weighs close to or more than what the almost 19 foot GCAT weighs.
  • The Getaway is a very durable boat that is relatively to simple rig and is easy to sail. You can pile on almost as many people who will fit on the tramps. Will move in light air and can take a beating in heavy air. Not the fastest boat out there but will seam like lighting coming off a mono hull! Don't have any experience with the G-Cat.

--
    Steve
    Nacra Inter 20
    Okemos Michigan
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.