Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

My H14 barely had any water in the hulls but was still riding extremely low in the water. Thoughts?  Bottom

• Thoughts on a solution or cause of the problem?
  • Diet?

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --
  • Weigh the boat.

Weigh the skipper.

One or both of these are heavier than they should be....

sm
  • amj1586Thoughts on a solution or cause of the problem?

Hello amj1586, welcome to TheBeachcats.com.

Yes a little more info is needed to help. The Hobie 14 is a single handed beachcat meant for a pretty small crew, so unless you mean the boat is riding low when empty, weight on board is important.

How do you know it has "very little water"? It's really hard to drain Hobie 14 and 16 hulls that don't have deck ports.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Damon:
    Why do you say the H14/H16 hulls are hard to drain? I have a H16, and want to make sure I am not missing anything. I usually have little or no water running out of the hulls when I lift them up with stern plugs open.
    Thanks!

--
    Ted
    Hobie 16
    South Carolina Lake sailing
    --
  • yelkenli1Damon:
    Why do you say the H14/H16 hulls are hard to drain?

Because of their shape, and because the only exit for water is the 1/2 inch drain hole unless deck ports have been installed.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • The H14 and H16 have a ton of rocker (fore/aft curve) in the hull shape, so the drain plug is quite a bit higher than the very bottom of the hull when the boat is sitting level. This means you have to lift the bows really high in order to drain all of the water out through the drain plug. As long as you lift the bows high enough, it's not a big deal. You just have to be aware that if you only lift the bows a little, you will potentially end up with some water left in the bottom of the hull.

If you have a deck port, you can pop the cover off and tilt the boat to verify you got all the water out. If some water is still in the hull, use a sponge to get it out.

If the boat is empty and looks like it's sitting low in the water, then the only reason would be because it's heavy. Either the boat was built heavy (nothing you can do), there's water sitting in the bottom of the hulls (drain it out), or the boat has been left with water in it for a long time and the fiberglass has absorbed water and gained weight (install an access port and try to dry the boat out as much as possible).

sm
  • Thanks Dogboy for giving a much more complete answer to the drainage question.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.