Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Slip to Ship 2015  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• I'm planning to attend but haven't seen a NOR nor any registration info for this year's event. If anybody knows where to find the info, please let me know.

Also, any suggestions on affordable hotels? I'm not looking for a "one step above scuzzy", but I'm not looking at a 5-star either. Something clean and close is the goal. I figure I'll be beat after a day on the water, so a couple of beers after I get to the hotel I won't give 2 flips about any amenities other than a comfortable bed and the comfort of knowing my vehicle will still be there in the morning.

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --
  • Look for a NOR and registration info on Regattanetwork.com sometime after the May 1 is my guess. The date I have is May 23 and 24.

http://www.regattanetwork…ndar.php?state%5B%5D=MS#

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • The only hotel really close to the club is the Travelodge.......it's right on the train tracks, and the reviews are pretty bad.

All the rest of the "standard" hotels in OS are up near I-10 at State Hwy. 609 (Washington Ave.). I've stayed at the HI Express (nice) and the Quality Inn (okay). I think the Super 8 is supposed to be okay, too.

Cross the bridge into Biloxi and the choices are endless.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • timinaustinI'm planning to attend but haven't seen a NOR nor any registration info for this year's event. If anybody knows where to find the info, please let me know.

Tim,

One problem with hotels for STS is that it is a holiday weekend and most are either already booked or they really jack up the prices. Obviously the farther you stay from the beach the lower the prices, and you are more likely to find vacancies up on I10, which is not that far away.

Another option if you are into roughing it is to pitch a tent right on the lawn between the club and the beach. There is a shower available under the club. Might also check with the guys from Texas City Dyke http://www.tcdyc.com/ who usually come in force and bring an RV or two.

Looking forward to it.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • We normally just rent a nice house in OS for 4-5 days during S2S ~ $90 a night. I've found a normally $60 hotel room gets jacked up to $120 a night when the rooms are barely worth the $60 to begin with. Best thing about a house is private parking, full sized rooms to stretch out and washer and dryer to get your clothes clean after getting nasty all day long ;)

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • Thanks for the info, guys. Kenny Boudreau suggested Gulf Hills Hotel & Conference Center. Their normal rates are $109-129/night. I just made reservations and the clerk said that she was going to check with the manager to see if they can get the rates even lower. I told her that I was coming for the OSYC race which seemed to make her happy. She also said they have military discounts. If a few of us stay there I'm pretty sure we'll get some great rates.

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --
  • Hello S2S sailors!

This is Jay Shuman and I am OSYC Fleet Captain this year. I just finished 2015 Hobie Mid Winters East last weekend and my next target is our 1699 Regatta 2 weekends from now. I'm meeting with my Regatta Social Chairperson next week and we'll flesh out details for S2S then. May 23-24 are the dates, suggestions above for lodging are good ones. I'll have NOR and Registration live in 2 weeks or so, will post here when it is ready for you. Please be patient:)
    Jay Shuman
    H16, H17, H20 (in process)
  • Camping is a good option this year. We are putting tents on the water-side lawn and RVs & campers are allowed on the street-side lot. There will be no electrical/water/waste hookups this year so be ready to run batteries or generators. Camping fee is $50 for the weekend - tent or RV/camper.
    Jay
  • QuoteGulf Hills Hotel & Conference Center. Their normal rates are $109-129/night.
    After fees, taxes and misc you' mightbe looking at $150.Camping is a good idea as weather is quite mild at night and the whole place shuts down around 9pm. Wish i could get a popup and my hobie 20 down there ;) The S2S regatta is one where you'll want to stay 4 days to relax and enjoy the area.

Edited by fxloop on Apr 16, 2015 - 12:06 PM.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    --
  • Registration is now live on Regatta Network. The event link is http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/10400
    NOR is posted and registration is open!
    Jay Shuman
    OSYC Fleet Captain
    H16, H17, H20 - damn close!
  • Registered

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Thanks, Jay. Registered and looking forward to it.

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --
  • In!

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • If I'm reading the NOR correctly, today's the last day to avoid the $10 late registration fee.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • I'm in! Everyone get registered at
    http://www.regattanetwork.com/event/10400

If you go ahead and register and pay online it makes it a lot easier the day of the regatta, one less thing to worry about. It also helps the club a lot to know people are coming and the bills are paid.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • jayshuCamping is a good option this year. We are putting tents on the water-side lawn and RVs & campers are allowed on the street-side lot. There will be no electrical/water/waste hookups this year so be ready to run batteries or generators. Camping fee is $50 for the weekend - tent or RV/camper.
    Jay

I missed the weekend but charging $50 to pitch a tent in the lawn is ridiculous. $50 for an RV also pushing it a little far. Pitching a tent should be free. Charge $25 for the weekend for the RV's and slowly you'll build up enough money to put in power hookups. I know space is limited for the RV's but where is the $50 per RV going?
  • Was a fun weekend for sure

Edited by fxloop on May 26, 2015 - 09:47 AM.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    --
  • Even though the weather didn't totally cooperate, it was a great time! It was good to put faces to names and share stories. Thanks to Jay and OSYC for a fantastic event!!

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --
  • I'll be down in Ocean Springs over 4th of July weekend and the entire week before if anyone wants to sail out to the island. Island hop got moved to the 12th of July so unfortunately I can't make it.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    --
  • Tim speaks true above. Due to a significant number of conflicts and challenges we are slipping Horn Island Hop one week to the right to 11-12 July. I apologize for the shift but our options were either slip one week or cancel the race - the date shift seemed like the better option.

The NOR is in review now and I plan to have registration live by the end of the week. I will also contact Damon and ask him to change the dates in the regatta listing section.

I'll post more info as it becomes available!

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.