Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Need some Advice on technique  Bottom

• New guy. Used to sail hobie whenever i went on vacation in the islands. Never had a problem. I am not a proficient sailor. Always a uni rig.

Anyway now own a supercat (ARC ) 17.

Main and jib. Lots of issues when i bought the boat. On the way to first sail and I lost the sail bag with the main and tiller. Pretty much flew out of bed of my truck .Lesson learned.

Took a few weeks for replacement. Thankful for insurance.

First sail I managed to tear the sail at bolt rope. No idea how. Was repaired by Aquarius at no charge. Next time out I broke a couple of battens. The ARC battens are tapered hollow tubes made of i believe fiberglass or other composite.

Tom at Aquarius felt it may have been from a violent jibe. Lesson learned. Center traveler and pull in mainsheet before jib and do not allow boom to swing violently. Got replacement battens in mail.

Tom has been helpful to say the least.

This weekend went sailing for my third attempt. nice wind 8-10 with gusts to about 16 per weather report.

Had a blast for about an hour and than disaster.

I was turning from windward to a sort of beam reach and speed picked up quickly ! Next thing i know my sailing buddy is doing a cartwheel through the air and she lands about 20 yards from the boat. i fall into the sail and mange to bend the bottom batten (serves as a boom) and snap a couple of others.

Now never having practiced righting I had no clue what to do. i did NOT have righting lines attached to the forward beam as I should have.

We capsized close to shore so in a few minutes boat was beached and my friend had to be rescued and brought to shore.

With help we got the cat righted and limped home on broken battens

So I think the first problem was i was not alert and when i turned to a reach got caught by surprise. Before i was able to ease the main and let out traveler we went over. Clearly I need to be more alert while sailing this thing. if I had let out the main and traveler as I headed abeam the wind I imagine we would have been fine.

I know falling from a height of 8 feet onto a sail is not wise but it happened so quickly.

I now know I will take the ARC to a beach, tip her over and practice righting. if this had happened in the middle of the lake things could have gotten a lot worse.

Aside from taking baby steps, being alert and knowing how to right the cat any other advice aside from "give up sailing"?

Should i have eased the main and traveler before I went to beam reach or it it progressive as you change point of sail sheet out the main. I suppose I should have had the main in one hand and tiller in other. the main was laying on the tramp and frankly i was just enjoying the ride. I was pretty much in set it and forget it mode. Big mistake.

I love this cat. it seems very fast tome but clearly I got into trouble due to my lack of experience.

Appreciate any advice.

the folks at Aquarius are quite helpful but are probably wondering why i am even trying to sail

Edited by drjay9051 on Apr 06, 2015 - 01:14 PM.
  • Catamarans will teach you what not to do in a hurry. My suggestion would first be to keep on sailing, don't give up! The payoff for perseverance is huge!! There is a steep learning curve in the beginning. Find someone in your geographical area to show you the ropes if you can. If not, keep checking back here for help . It's well worth the trouble!!!!.
    When you're on a cat, keep the main sheet in hand AT ALL TIMES! Especially on a lake. At first, you may want to keep the main sheet uncleated 95% of the time. If things get uncomfortable, let out the main sheet. I rarely cleat the main when sailing on Lake Pleasant in AZ. Little( sometimes big) Chiindii's (dust devils/mini tornados) come across the lake all the time. Winds will go from 0 to 15, clock 90*, stop, and clock 180*, and it's gone. You need to watch the water for wind speed/direction changes. The darker the water, the bigger the change in direction and/or speed.After a while it becomes more natural. Make changes in boat heading and sail setting before or just as the new wind hits.
    Always have a righting line. ALWAYS WEAR A LIFE JACKET!!!!!!!
    When jibing, yes, let out the travler and the sheet before or just as you initiate your turn. Power increases quickly. As you and your crew become more proficient , you will change your technique . 90%of the time, until you are more proficient, keep the main uncleated.
    Please do not get discouraged. This sport has a huge upside!!
  • Lots of reading. A few basic books, my favorite is http://www.amazon.ca/RYA-Catamaran-Handbook-Jeremy-Evans/dp/1905104405. Also Rick whites videos are good, they seem a little goofy but there is a lot of good info in them.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Yes, lots of reading, lots of time on the water.
  • Another great book that will help you get your feet wet (and your body dry) is:

http://www.amazon.com/Catamaran-Sailing-Start-Finish-Revised/dp/039331880X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428369168&sr=8-1&keywords=catamaran+sailing+from+start+to+finish

Stick with it, it comes quickly!

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --
  • jackbhttp://www.amazon.com/Cat…ywords=Catamaran+Sailing

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51oD5Dui6XL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This is the book i have been reading.
  • Quotelots of time on the water.

+
    After 50 hours of stick time, and 100 tacks, and 5 righting, you'll feel more confident. In learning any boat, first runs might be self training runs, not pleasure cruzing. Learning the boat is important. Including self rescue and navigation to any point where you want to go. For instance, I was in irons in a sunfish being blown into a jetty. I pushed the boom, moved the rudder but nothing happened- for about 8 minutes or so. I didn't know what to do as I was going backwards... the fishermen on the jetty looked on with amazement, then for some reason I decided to lift the daggerboard, (the only thing left to do) the boat spun around and I got wind and got away from the rocks that would have destroyed the boat. Now had I gone out in the open, and purposely put the boat in irons and experimented, learned to bring up the dagger board, I wouldn't have had such a frightening experience... so close to rocks.

Take the boat to the open, and practice, practice, practice....

Edited by goodsailing on Apr 07, 2015 - 05:59 AM.

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • QuoteTom at Aquarius felt it may have been from a violent jibe. Lesson learned. Center traveler and pull in mainsheet before jib and do not allow boom to swing violently. Got replacement battens in mail.

That is how i went through my sail....
    gybing while the travler centered will power you up with little ability or time to depower

i now gybe with the traveler all the way out (or most of the way) -main sheet tight until i start the turn and pay out a liitle bit
    I also prep the jib or tell crew to get the jib ready (set the sheets in the right spot)
  • QuoteThis is the book i have been reading.

Read the first few chapters, then go out and sail. What you've read will become much clearer once you've been out on the water a few times. After that, go back and re-read those same chapters. You'll be amazed how much clearer it will be. After you feel comfortable with the basics, read further on sail shape, race strategy, etc.. Good luck and enjoy!!!

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --
  • http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51oD5Dui6XL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I talked with a trusted source today at lunch about this thread. He said, "this is the best book out there"

He gave some advice that was given to him. he said he thought it was the best way to learn and retain this kind of info:

read just a little and go sailing. too much info will not help

after sailing, go back and read from page 1 again until you get to a new topic and only read a little

go sailing
    after sailing, go back and read from page 1 again until you get to a new topic and only read a little

go sailing

Re-reading will help you retain and apply the info. you can skim past any parts of the book that you have "down" but the info gets "implanted" be re-reading it and apply it on the water...

we discussed this method at length and it seems a great way to me now and wish i had this info 16 years ago when i started sailing multi-hulls

Edited by MN3 on Apr 07, 2015 - 12:54 PM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.