Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Need a price check on a prindle 16  Bottom

• Well I'm getting serious about boat shopping. I found one locally. it's an 83 prindle 16 with a lot of extras for $2500. Initially that seems a little high to me. It also doesn't mention a trailer. I've emailed the seller and I'm waiting to hear back. I'm hoping some of you cat owners will weigh in with our thoughts on this boat.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/4927160968.html

Dom
  • From the ad "It also comes with a trailer that's in decent condition."

Looks like a well maintained boat but price seems a bit higher than I would expect.
    Maybe justifiable if all standing rigging is nearly new (less than a year old), sails are crisp, and a set of beach wheels comes with the boat.
  • Boats are only worth what people will pay. Says he's not anxious to sell it. So that means he's just testing the market, and will sell if he gets his price. Not until he absolutely wants to get rid of this boat, or wants that other bigger boat will he be flexible on price. Offer $1500 and tell him you'll be there today with cash and chart his interest to move it. If you don't get an acceptance, or a counter offer, move on. Boat isn't worth what he's asking IMHO.

Ask, when was the last time the bearings and races in the wheels where changed.

Edited by goodsailing on Mar 13, 2015 - 12:21 PM.

--
    Goodsailing

Laser-Standard Rig (Sold 6/15)
    H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Building 19' Tacking Outrigger
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • There are a ton of great Prindle 16's out there... That one is way overpriced...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • I will be down in Orlando next week with my P16, PM me if you're interested.

R
  • Dom and R I sent you a PM.

--
    Prindle 18 w/ wings, Prindle 16, Prindle 15, current
    Hobie 16 in rebuild
    2 Hobie 18 past
    NACRA 5.2 past

Saint Cloud, Florida
    member Lake Eustis Sail Club
    http://www.lakeeustissailingclub.org
    --
  • I dont think it's overpriced if its in good shape
  • The ad states it is $2100. If the rigging is truly new, tramp in great shape, sails as crisp as they look and the hubs, lights and wheels on the trailer are all good...........it is a rippin deal. Not over priced. Don't forget, all those great deals and lower priced boats people talk about end up costing you another $500 to $1,000 by the time you are done replacing things. Heck, you can spend $300 on new lines alone. Go take a look.

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    Webster Lake Indian Lake Narragnsett Bay in Rhode Island
    --
  • peterk123The ad states it is $2100. If the rigging is truly new, tramp in great shape, sails as crisp as they look and the hubs, lights and wheels on the trailer are all good...........it is a rippin deal. Not over priced. Don't forget, all those great deals and lower priced boats people talk about end up costing you another $500 to $1,000 by the time you are done replacing things. Heck, you can spend $300 on new lines alone. Go take a look.

I agree, not everyone wants to buy a boat to work on! A boat that is truly ready to sail and trailer without further expense (or many many hours of work) is worth a big premium over the "backyard finds" that get discussed all the time. Lots of those "bargains" end up costing the new owner way more than $2,100 you just wont' be seeing the guy that posted "Just bought a great Hobie 16 for $800!" come back and give an itemized list of the $2,000 bucks he put into the boat and trailer afterwards.

I'll give a personal example. I bought a Hobie 18 on a trailer at auction for $100. Before I got it all the way home one of the spindles burned out and I had to order a whole custom axle and hubs (the 30 year old axle/hub was unique and couldn't be repaired.) So now up to $330 and as a bonus I got to spend a pleasant winter day in the parking lot of a doctors office on my back on the pavement dealing with nasty rusty trailer $hit.

The boat didn't come with usable
    boom
    blocks
    sails
    lines
    daggerboards
    etc.

I have bought all that stuff used and even got some of it for free and now I have about $1,800 in the boat and untold hours. And that's starting with a $100 boat!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Market research is the way to buy boats. You can change locations on Craigslist all while keeping the same search term, such as, Hobie 18 or Prindle etc. You can check other websites too. Do the deal on the phone, then go pick it up. You've got to get it home so the trailer is most important. Yes, it all depends upon: do you want to go sailing, or do you want to work on a boat. Changing a few things, or cleaning can do wonders. Structural damage that is hard to repair is the pits. If you don't have a gallon of epoxy, tools, time, then pass up on fixer uppers and get one done. Be careful. I bought a "done boat" and ended up doing quite a lot of work to it as, the stress of sailing a boat that hadn't sailed in years, brought forth damage that needed repairs, including a nearly complete separation of the deck from the hull, Laser, that I was lucky to get it back to shore. If anything, buy a boat that been sailing... IMHO. Not sitting for the last 3 years.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • QuoteGo take a look.

No, talk to seller on phone. ASk all the questions: when was it last sailed, when were the bearings of the trailer last looked at, can I pull it to Chicago without it burning up. Will trailer pass inspection. Any soft spots etc. .... agree on price... no sense in going to look at boat, or anything unless you know what you have to pay or how much cash you need when you leave your house driving a car with a hitch. Ask the size of the ball 2" or 1 7/8 that lets them know you are serious about picking it up. You can always negotiate lower once you see it. I usually am ready to take it then, not go back... save time. So did you offer $1500? What did they say. Is the boat still available. Did you buy the boat.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • goodsailing
    No, talk to seller on phone.

Talking on the phone is a good first step. But eventually, you will have to see the boat. I would not agree on the price without seeing the boat.

I agree with peterk123, if the sails are near new, new rigging, etc. then is a good deal. A set of sails alone would run you about $1200.

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • QuoteI would not agree on the price without seeing the boat.

Agree on price, subject to inspection. This way, you'll know what you can buy the boat for prior to inspection. Contingencies can be negotiated during inspection. When you get there: OH, you didn't tell me the mast was bent... etc. Why go back after inspection. Go there with cash ready to buy. You either buy the boat or pass on it. Unless of course you have a lot of time, and are kicking tires driving around looking at boats you MIGHT buy. Besides, you might think you could get it for less when the seller won't sell for less or sell for more money than you have, so you wasted a trip to look at a boat you can't buy. A seller knowing your are a buyer will often deal. If you act like a buyer, then you'll get a deal. If you act like a tire kicker then the seller is not that willing. I think there could be a non buyer, and a non seller here. I could be wrong, but that's my sneaking impression.

Added: Forgot to mention: The seller could always bump you up in price once you got there. That he changed his mind about selling it and raised his price. The reason one might get a price nailed down before going there to buy the boat.

Also, once you agree on price, move quickly. The seller could use your offer, and phone agreement to get someone else to buy the boat. This happened to me over a weekend. We agreed on Friday, for closing on Mon. I called him Sunday night to confirm for MON morning, and he already sold it. I should have gone Friday! Seller was not too nice.. but that's life.

Edited by goodsailing on Mar 19, 2015 - 07:49 PM.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • goodsailing
    QuoteGo take a look.

No, talk to seller on phone. .... agree on price...

Personally, I would never agree to the price with a seller over the phone with out first seeing the boat... I don't want to set up an expectation that could cause some bad feelings in the end.

What I would do is bring lots of little green pieces of paper with a picture of an angry Quaker inventor on them... Have your price set and make an offer..... real hard to turn down a reasonable offer when the cash is sitting there...

On another note, if this is your first boat, you may want to hook up with someone that knows what they are looking at... Or can teach you what to look for..

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • I would definitely think about where you are at with purchasing a catamaran. If you are not farmiliar with them then have someone's help you who is. When I bought my 5.5 I had to drive to Phoenix to look at it. Nacra's are hard to find and I knew what i wanted so when one popped up I had to see it. After a good conversation with the owner and seeing it listed on a cat fleet website I felt comfortable taking the trip. He was asking $1800 for it and I thought that was a fair price for an OG '90 5.5. After looking at her I noticed that the bottom was way in need of a bottom job. The average cost of that then was $300 so I left feeling like I got a good deal at $1500. As I left Phoenix my battery light came on and I new my alternator just failed so here I am at an Autozone parking lot swapping my alternator. This was a gamble but I was not looking for a turnkey boat and this was a good base to start with. To date I have spent 2 times what I paid for her and do not plan on selling her. This is what I wanted and am not looking to be in the Olympics. I would say that either you buy a cat from someone who has invested a lot and has lost interest or is upgrading. If you buy a project cat Than plan on investing a lot of sweet equity and have a blast sailing. My last monohull I paid 8k for, invested 6k and sold for 8k. The buyer definitly benefitted from me.
  • Much more reasonable at $2100 than the original list price of $2500.
  • QuotePersonally, I would never agree to the price with a seller over the phone with out first seeing the boat... I don't want to set up an expectation that could cause some bad feelings in the end.

You could have bad feelings, after driving 300 miles and the seller sold the boat before you got there! After nearly 5 decades of buying and selling stuff, I"m amazed at the NEW method of communicating. Driving from Baltimore to NC to look at a boat without knowing 1. if the seller will hold the boat for you, 2. what you could buy the boat for is in my opinion not a good idea. You can get a lot of info on the phone that it might be a wise idea to learn as much as you can about the boat, including what you'll be paying. NOT emailing back and forth, as emailers typically are not real buyers and sellers. Here's a guy posting here to ask us if it is a good deal or not. He said it was $2,500. A beachcat poster now says the boat is listed for $2100. The question is, before I leave the house, what exactly will he take? I mentioned offering $1500 for it by phone. Has that been done yet? If not why not? There is nothing wrong with confirming price to pay, inspection date and time, location, will you hold the boat till I get there etc., I"m leaving Balt now and will be there in 4 hours etc. all before you take the drive.
    The idea you blindly take a trip without these details nailed down is bizarre.

But if you want to drive 300 miles only to be disappointed because you didn't ask a lot of questions on the phone before you took the drive, it's because of you.

So what will the seller take for the boat... anyone know yet?

Edited by goodsailing on Mar 20, 2015 - 10:42 AM.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --
  • Funny, someone in FL better go buy that boat. Seller's telling me he'd take $1800 and even might take less for everything. OK I'm done. Good luck.

--
    Goodsailing

H18 (Sold 7/15)
    Balt-Wash Area
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.