Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Observations from a Newish Sailor  Bottom

• A friend and I bought and sailed a 1974 (yes, 1974) 16' cat last summer and made a few interesting observations that I'd like to verify are innate to the boat.

1) In the light winds of western KY midsummer, we found that we gained the most power on a medium reach, and that power trailed off heavily at most other angles.
    2) When on one of those medium reaches, we found that the gib seemed to contribute most to our thrust as opposed to the mainsail. As much as we trimmed the main, the gib had the largest effect upon speed. Small changes in gib trim made all the difference.

Was this a result of our lack of knowledge, or is this a common experience in light winds with a 16? The sails are definitely blown out, but we did scoot with some reasonable power in gusts.

Background: I had sailed a Sunfish as a youngster under the guidance of my grandfather who learned to sail in the Navy while stationed in San Diego. Other than just getting out there and figuring things out myself, I've not sailed with any experienced folks. I currently sail on Kentucky Lake, but might be living in West Palm Beach soon, so I'm trying to learn the basics a bit better before my main body of water is an ocean.

Thanks much,

Rion
  • 1 - yes - 90 * off the wind is the fastest angle to sail - see chart below -

2 - yes h16 are very fast (compared to many other beachcats) dead down wind, wing to winging the sails (one on sb one on port).

Even though ddw is the slowest point of sail, the fact you don't have to gybe can make up for lots of time, and often ddw is a shorter distance to a buoy or other "target"

http://www.ockam.com/OldSite/OU1Fig14.png

Edited by MN3 on Feb 04, 2015 - 12:39 PM.
  • Your jib is your turbo on the 16 or other beach cat. It will accelerate the air over the main to create lift. If you tighten it too much and pinch off the main, then they both fail.

The two sails work together, If you try sailing that boat without the main, you'll really see how much the main does. (Highest point of sail seems about 95 degrees to the wind) It sounds like you're on the right track.

Tom

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.