Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Don't sail in front of ships! Please  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

• Klozhald, I bet you were pumpin the hell out of the main sheet AND traveler when you crossed waaaaayyy close in front of that cargo hauler in the second leg of the Tripoint this last august!! I hear those things put out a Heck of a shadow when you cross in their lee. Especially within a hundred yards or so with them full speed ahaid! Scary s#!+ man! Maybe it looked in the video worse than it was due to telephoto compression?
  • azcatKlozhald, I bet you were pumpin the hell out of the main sheet AND traveler when you crossed waaaaayyy close in front of that cargo hauler in the second leg of the Tripoint this last august!! I hear those things put out a Heck of a shadow when you cross in their lee. Especially within a hundred yards or so with them full speed ahaid! Scary s#!+ man! Maybe it looked in the video worse than it was due to telephoto compression?

Here you be the judge start at about 3:00

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQSasSXnrTU#t=572

100 or 500 yards doesn't matter, they were pretty close. Bob was bragging about it afterwards at the club, and the guys that shot the video were real concerned. Bob needs to understand all the alarm bells that went off on that boat when they saw him push it...

I guess this is what my daddy meant he said... 'if that boy had a brain he would be lonesome."

Not to worry, we're going to have a nice briefing about this at the safety meeting next year...

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • I think that would be wonderful .
  • I was the first one in the video to cross and will NEVER do that again. In the moment I had confidence on the crossing but after I realized everything that could have gone wrong from stalling out to equipment failure it was plain stupid.

--
    David
    Nacra 5.5SL
    Nacra 5.2 (sold)
    San Diego, CA
    --
  • We have lots of lakes freighters coming through Lk St. Clair - some of them 1000+ft. Always makes me nervous crossing the channel - even if they're a mile off!

To the original post, I read recently in one of the Frank Bethwaite books (Fast Handling Techniques) where he recommended traveler-style sheeting up to the design wind (just to the point of being overpowered). Rationale is that you're not losing as much forward drive from the top of the sail as you do with the mainsheet that allows twist. Sounds interesting, but I've never tried it under controlled setting to see if it makes any difference.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • QuoteHere you be the judge start at about 3:00

Yikes!
  • Yikes x200, mega balz to go thru that!!! New pants needed ??

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • Holy cow!
  • JohnES100 or 500 yards doesn't matter, they were pretty close. Bob was bragging about it afterwards at the club, and the guys that shot the video were real concerned. Bob needs to understand all the alarm bells that went off on that boat when they saw him push it...
    I guess this is what my daddy meant he said... 'if that boy had a brain he would be lonesome."

John, why do you have the need to make this stuff up?
    I have never bragged about this crossing.
    Why would I brag about something this dumb and dangerous?
    That is simply a lie, and a malicious one at that, coupled with your demeaning quotes.
    We mis-judged the speed of the tanker, after first thinking we were looking at the stern, not the bow.
    I hung that video in FB as a cautionary tale, and yet you immediately made it your soapbox so that you could say rude and untrue things.

Your behavior in a leadership role is very disappointing.

“Arguments cannot be answered by personal abuse; there is no logic in slander, and falsehood, in the long run, defeats itself.”
    ― Robert G. Ingersoll

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • klozhald
    JohnES100 or 500 yards doesn't matter, they were pretty close. Bob was bragging about it afterwards at the club, and the guys that shot the video were real concerned. Bob needs to understand all the alarm bells that went off on that boat when they saw him push it...

That is simply a lie, and a malicious one at that, coupled with your demeaning quotes.
    We mis-judged the speed of the tanker, after first thinking we were looking at the stern, not the bow.
    I hung that video in FB as a cautionary tale, and yet you immediately made it your soapbox so that you could say rude and untrue things.

“Arguments cannot be answered by personal abuse; there is no logic in slander, and falsehood, in the long run, defeats itself.”
    ― Robert G. Ingersoll

Bob,

Let me redact the statement about your bragging about this Darwin Candidate maneuver as I was not a witness to this conversation.. However, the second hand information was brought to my attention from a creditable source.... not from someone that is known to make things up... That said, if this was true, and I was there, trust me you had been dressed down right then and there...

For that I apologize.

Secondly, I have to challenge you on your statement about not knowing if it was the bow or the stern of the boat. Are you not looking about your surroundings and aware of what is going on when sailing in the Santa Barbara Channel? Have we not made this point clear in the safety briefing that is scan the horizon? As a note, my crew picked that boat up when it was halfway down the face of Santa Cruz Island... a good 7 to 10 miles away. Please let me know..... And please explain to me how you mis- judged the movement and the direction of one very large very red boat. As an experienced mariner such as your self had missed this, maybe others are too, and this something that will need to be incorporated and overly stressed into the safety briefing for 2015. Maybe we can prevent these; as you said, dumb and dangerous stunts in the future...

Thirdly, when it comes to safe sailing, keeping people alive, and preserving these races I will make this my soapbox and if I have to use you as the example of what not to do... you can count on this. Don't like it, don't do dumb stuff..

Also Bob, you have my email and cell phone number.... you don't like my method give me a shout. I'll be glad to talk with you as I am also very interested in learning how you misjudged bow for the stern, the direction, and the speed of a very large very red boat that just about everyone else took to port...

Edited by JohnES on Dec 29, 2014 - 04:28 PM.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • You guys don't really need to use this forum for your dispute, please take it elsewhere. Thanks.

Dave
  • This is getting a bit personal but you can never under-stress the importance of safety on a vessel, esp when you are talking about seamanship that can have drastic and unintentional results.

maybe someone who reads this will think 2 or 3 times (or 4 or 5 times) before taking such a risky action -

JohnES
    klozhald
    JohnES100 or 500 yards doesn't matter, they were pretty close. Bob was bragging about it afterwards at the club, and the guys that shot the video were real concerned. Bob needs to understand all the alarm bells that went off on that boat when they saw him push it...

― Robert G. Ingersoll

Bob,

Let me redact the statement about your bragging about this Darwin Candidate maneuver as I was not a witness to this conversation.. However, the second hand information was brought to my attention from a creditable source.... not from someone that is known to make things up... That said, if this was true, and I was there, trust me you had been dressed down right then and there...

For that I apologize.

Secondly, I have to challenge you on your statement about not knowing if it was the bow or the stern of the boat. Are you not looking about your surroundings and aware of what is going on when sailing in the Santa Barbara Channel? Have we not made this point clear in the safety briefing that is scan the horizon? As a note, my crew picked that boat up when it was halfway down the face of Santa Cruz Island... a good 7 to 10 miles away. Please let me know..... And please explain to me how you mis- judged the movement and the direction of one very large very red boat. As an experienced mariner such as your self had missed this, maybe others are too, and this something that will need to be incorporated and overly stressed into the safety briefing for 2015. Maybe we can prevent these; as you said, dumb and dangerous stunts in the future...

Thirdly, when it comes to safe sailing, keeping people alive, and preserving these races I will make this my soapbox and if I have to use you as the example of what not to do... you can count on this. Don't like it, don't do dumb stuff..

Also Bob, you have my email and cell phone number.... you don't like my method give me a shout. I'll be glad to talk with you as I am also very interested in learning how you misjudged bow for the stern, the direction, and the speed of a very large very red boat that just about everyone else took to port...Edited by JohnES on Dec 29, 2014 - 04:28 PM.

Edited by MN3 on Dec 30, 2014 - 07:56 AM.
  • MN3

maybe someone who reads this will think 2 or 3 times (or 4 or 5 times) before taking such a risky action -

Perhaps, but the discussion is now so far removed from the original topic that the moderator should delete the last several posts and copy them into a new forum entry. These posts have zero relevance to the question regarding using the traveler for trimming.

sm
  • big ship encounter with a sail boat...

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=723824664322574&set=vb.722783644426676&type=3&theater

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • Damn, if that anchor had not been there, he would have made it.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • oh look, a hornets nest! What should I do with this stick?

Edited by azcat on Dec 31, 2014 - 10:27 AM.
  • I remember blowing a tack on Norfolk Harbor Reach in my old Sailmaster 26 with a Turkish freighter bearing down on us. I had failed to emphasize strongly enough to my green jib crew the importance of sheeting home on the new tack quickly. We were quite close to that ship with his horn sounding when I got that tack done. I'll never forget how big that ship got.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --
  • I understand how in a long race that it is difficult to avoid shipping channels completely. Shouldn't race coordinators do everything possible to set up race courses that avoid shipping channels?
  • If you're on a lake sailing it would be very easy to four race coordinators to avoid shipping lanes however if you're off the coast on either cost or any cost there is very likely to be some sort of shipping line that crosses a race course or vice versa whichever way you look at it.thatincludes the Great Lakes which also have shipping lanes some of which could be close to a coastline.or for instance the Mississippi River which has plenty of barge traffic. This is especially true near populated areas where there are likely to be shipping lanes and regattas. It is highly unlikely to that the shipping traffic would be on any set schedule so that certain time periods for shipping would not coincide with regattas. safety while on the water is the responsibility of every skipper in charge of A boat while on the water. This includes the safety of his own boat his crew and any other boat near him on the water/or her. Anthony, my highly skilled crew, did a very good job of assessing our position versus the ship.and by the way the ship was hauling a SS for something that size.

During the tripoint race I crossed probably close to a mile maybe a mile and a half in front of that tanker and it was still uncomfortable. It was also a little bit hard to assess the speed and direction of that cargo ship because it was directly behind me as I was trapped out and it was very hard for me to turn around and actually see the boat to keep track of it. We were however far enough aheadthat I didn't feel that it would be a problem for us.You never know when something that you don't think it's going to happen happens. You stick a bow into a wave and go over and just happened to be right in front of that boat there isA strong likelihood that they may not even see you. I would imagine that in the area that this boat was motoring they may have had lookouts especially seeing a fleet of sailboats about to cross that path.that still doesn't mean that that ship could've done anything to stop or even change course had someone gotten in trouble in front of it even a quarter-mile in front of it. I was the first Catamaran that you see in the video on and I 20. I kept a very close eye on that ship to try and gauge is speed against mine and how far in front of them I was going to cross.even that far ahead I was very nervous and sailed with a little bit of reserve to make sure that we didn't have a problem. I remember remarking as we got out towards the island and the other boats were nearing the ship,that there was a good chance that nearly all of the other competitors would have to cross behind the ship.

Go to page 1 - 2 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.