Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Preparing for the big rain storm  Bottom

• They are predicting a big storm hit the SF area tonight/tomorrow with high winds, high waves and rain. Harbor master in Santa Cruz actually had an automated system that called me. I left my cat in dry storage, but I went there today and shoved anything loose into my car or the cat box. I even removed all of the running rigging, coiled the lines and tossed them in the back of my SUV.

This weekend I can practice putting all the rigging back on.
  • The rain is not so bad for the boat - in your case might be good for rinsing off the salt.

However, in the midwest, we can get some thunderstorms with high gusts - sometimes as much as 70+mph. Therefore, we always tie down the boat to prevent a cat-astrophe! We usually use a stout line between the dolphin striker and a strong auger (earth anchor) or heavy cement block. Some people will bury a 4-6ft long 2x4 a foot or so in the sand and tie off to that. Another option is to tie off the trap lines to something stable on each side.

Edited by rehmbo on Dec 11, 2014 - 09:08 AM.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • that same storm is supposed to hit us further South in San Diego a few hours later....

All along this year there's been an onoing discussion about an El Nino this year....first it was going to be a really strong one, then a mild one. At this point NOAA predictions show 65% for a mild El Nino this Winter into early 2015. There already have been a few rainy days in SoCal the past few weeks, more so than the last years or so. It's hopefully going to bring some of the water to replenish the reservoirs of the rapidly drying sources. It also could mean mud slides and destroyed homes depending on how strong the storms become as it did in the last really big one 1997/98.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/ensodisc.html

--
    Marek
    1992 Prindle 19
    1981 Prindle 16
    --
  • They were predicting 40 mph winds. It doesn't look like our area got nearly those winds. I agree that the rain isn't a problem, but I was worried about what the wind might do.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.