Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hangover regatta  Bottom

• Has anyone here participated in the hangover regatta at Dunedin causeway on New Years day? I was thinking about trying it this year but I am curious about the level of competition and other details.

--
    Hobie 14/17

Tampa, FL
    --
  • I have, all are welcome, not a very "serious" race
    all levels of seamanship ...
    all types of catamarans

worth doing
  • I am going to try to do it, I have never raced before so I don't want to get in anyone's way. I am excited about it though, I am interested to see how proficient I really am.

--
    Hobie 14/17

Tampa, FL
    --
  • retropharoahI am going to try to do it, I have never raced before so I don't want to get in anyone's way. I am excited about it though, I am interested to see how proficient I really am.

Perhaps a winning plan of attack would be to BE in everyone's way :)

don't worry about anything, go have fun
  • Doesn't every hangover involved a regatta? icon_lol

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • retropharoahI am going to try to do it, I have never raced before

I don't know your knowledge level but this online page seems pretty good . . . not too much info (to many things to overthink is not good) but covers the important stuff ... I would read it a few times and make sure you understand who has "right of way" and the starting sequence (if you don't know it already or need a refresher).

Fremontsailingclub.org/sailing/BeginnersGuide.htm
  • MN3

I wouldn't use that for the start sequence, as the sequence is 5 minutes these days:

http://www.ussailing.org/…ments/PDF/RRS26Illus.pdf
  • thanks for pointing that out - I am not arguing this at all but the point of the article was to get an overview

FYI - the races here in Dunedin are VERY "lax" - there is never an actual NOR created, and they will use the same old system

Typically they still use the 2 flags with a 4 minute start (but this can change at any time)

the actual start sequence will be covered in the skippers meeting, as will the course
  • Depending on who's running the race the sequence will be either 3 or 5. Everything will be explained at the skippers meeting. Not sure who is running the race yet. The skippers meeting 10:30 am white flag to follow shortly after. If you need any info you can call me 727-442-3281 at the Sailing shop and I will answer any questions you might have. The cost for a single hand boat is normally $15, 20 for a double. Trophy's are bottles of champagne. The race normally goes north around Three Rooker Bar. Sometimes down to the Outer buoy off Clearwater pass. Use Google Earth to familiarize yourself with the area. If the weather does not cooperate on the 1st we will most likley make it up on sunday the 4th.

Mike

MN3thanks for pointing that out - I am not arguing this at all but the point of the article was to get an overview

FYI - the races here in Dunedin are VERY "lax" - there is never an actual NOR created, and they will use the same old system

Typically they still use the 2 flags with a 4 minute start (but this can change at any time)

the actual start sequence will be covered in the skippers meeting, as will the course

--
    Have Fun,
    Mike
    --
  • and there ya have it. It has been a long time since i raced ....
  • Sounds like fun.
  • catmanDepending on who's running the race the sequence will be either 3 or 5. Everything will be explained at the skippers meeting. Not sure who is running the race yet. The skippers meeting 10:30 am white flag to follow shortly after. If you need any info you can call me 727-442-3281 at the Sailing shop and I will answer any questions you might have. The cost for a single hand boat is normally $15, 20 for a double. Trophy's are bottles of champagne. The race normally goes north around Three Rooker Bar. Sometimes down to the Outer buoy off Clearwater pass. Use Google Earth to familiarize yourself with the area. If the weather does not cooperate on the 1st we will most likley make it up on sunday the 4th.

Mike

Hey Mike, Please add the event to the regatta calendar. There is an "Add Event" link under the Calendar tab at the top.

or direct
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…vent&type=event&func=new

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • DamonLinkous
    catmanDepending on who's running the race the sequence will be either 3 or 5. Everything will be explained at the skippers meeting. Not sure who is running the race yet. The skippers meeting 10:30 am white flag to follow shortly after. If you need any info you can call me 727-442-3281 at the Sailing shop and I will answer any questions you might have. The cost for a single hand boat is normally $15, 20 for a double. Trophy's are bottles of champagne. The race normally goes north around Three Rooker Bar. Sometimes down to the Outer buoy off Clearwater pass. Use Google Earth to familiarize yourself with the area. If the weather does not cooperate on the 1st we will most likley make it up on sunday the 4th.

Mike

Hey Mike, Please add the event to the regatta calendar. There is an "Add Event" link under the Calendar tab at the top.

or direct
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…vent&type=event&func=new

Done, sent for your approval.

--
    Have Fun,
    Mike
    --
  • There's been a change of date for this race. We will do it on Jan. 4th. This works out better for most people I've talked to plus the forecast is for 80 degrees. We will have a chase boat for safety and to document any mistakes. icon_cool Any questions respond here or call me 727-410-7961 Mike.

--
    Have Fun,
    Mike
    --
  • Quoteand to document any mistakes

haha.. - thanks gopro

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.