Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 17 tiller extension  Bottom

• When I bought my h17 it had a lame PVC pipe for a tiller arm, so I replaced it with an aluminum painters pole. Now it is too bent to use and I am going sailing tomorrow. So, I have a couple of questions. First, what is the best material to use considering there is no way I will find an actual arm tonight and second how long should it be? I plan on getting out on the trap tomorrow and all of the tiller arms I see for sale seem too short. I found a pole saw at my pawn shop that has a fiberglass pole, I was thinking about cutting it down and using it. Was just seeing if anyone has done that before or if there is something else that I can get from my local hardware store that will work better.

Thanks for any suggestions, I would also like to thank everyone that participates on this forum for all of the tips and advice that have saved me tones of time and money. It really is the BEST place to learn about beachcats!

--
    Hobie 14/17

Tampa, FL
    --
  • many have tried this - including myself. I have tried painter sticks, Telescoping Boat Hooks from west marine and others....

my advice is - Go to your local hobie dealer (tackle shack in pinellas park, or Ellie's sail shop in Clwtr) and get a real tiller extension because all of these fiberglass poles will eventually break down and get fibers in your hands - and then you will hate them / all alum poles will eventually bend and break / pvc is a joke and not a part of a catamaran. don't trust your life on a piece of pvc
  • Yeah, when I saw the PVC tiller I immediately thought "this guy has never sailed this boat" and as soon as I got it it went in the dumpster, I will probably rig something for tomorrow but bring my h14 tiller on board just in case, I know it will work and is sturdy its just too short to trap with. I will likely go to a sail shop soon, but I have to get on the water tomorrow. Its the first time my dad and I will have both of our boats in the water and I can't wait to smoke his getaway with my 17!

--
    Hobie 14/17

Tampa, FL
    --
  • +1 on getting a legit tiller extension

Do not waste your time, energy, and cash trying to half-ass some cheapo extension together. My preference is for the Arriba Hotstick (yes they are pricey, but they work well and last several years). Even the basic Hobie extension is much better than anything you are going to put together from Home Depot parts. Some guys are even building fixed length carbon extensions, but obviously this is not for the budget-minded sailor.

Tiller extension length for a Hobie 17 should be about 120" give or take depending on personal preference.

sm
  • retropharoah I plan on getting out on the trap tomorrow and all of the tiller arms I see for sale seem too short.

You will need 118 inch or more to hike from H17 wings. I use FX6 Arriba telescopic stick

http://www.murrays.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/44-FX0.jpg

http://www.murrays.com/44-FX0.html

Quote I found a pole saw at my pawn shop that has a fiberglass pole

You will need some sort of metal insert to make a reliable connection to the tiller. Best would be aluminum solid rode which you could epoxy into the fiberglass and then drill a hole for a connector pin.

One trick to protect your hands from the fiberglass is to use old bicycle tube. It has to be right size to fit on the fiberglass stick tight.

Good luck,

Edited by jackb on Dec 01, 2014 - 08:11 PM.

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --
  • If you'll check my classifieds, I have Arriba sticks for sale & have the F6 available at 1/2 price. Pete
  • If you have an old pair of ski poles you can make a long one riveting both together. I used that for years, keeping the pole grip and strap. It looked pretty cool (to me at least..)
  • QuoteIf you have an old pair of ski poles you can make a long one riveting both together.

I have bent more than my share of ski poles over the years, I would think a double length one would not stand up to much abuse.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • No issues during the 8 years I had the boat
  • The true test of any H17 tiller extension is when it gets accidentally dropped under the wing, fully extended, while sailing downwind in heavy air (usually during a high speed jibe). The tiller will hit the first wave that comes along, slam back against the rear wing support tube, and bend like a toothpick. If your tiller extension can survive this unscathed, then it is up to the task.

sm
  • I really like the fixed Carbon tillers like the Ronstan Battle stick. They take some getting used to, however they are lightweight and will never slip. They are also wellpriced, however I do not think they are long enough for your application.

The Nacra carbon tiller that comes on the F20c is really nice, its $210 from your dealer. I think its a very nice piece for the price.

The Nacra tiller is a smaller diameter than the Arriba products. My fixed length carbon tiller is the same dimension.
  • Carbon fiber cross country poles are a good buy

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.