Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Water in the hulls  Bottom

• I have a 1982 Hobie 16 that I am slowly learning on. A couple of weeks ago I put it away for the winter and in the process I tried to drain the hulls. I tipped the trailer up until the rear cross member was almost touching the ground and a little water did come out. Then by looking at the hull shape I realized there was still a low section that was probably full of water yet. I made a very tiny LED light that was inserted into the drain hole and I was able to see water. So I took a wet/ dry shop vac and attached a small plastic tube to the hose and sucked every drop of water out of each hull. Checked it with the light; bone dry. I measured the water collected from each hull and came up with the following: Left Hull = 1gallon 2 quarts
    Right Hull = 3 quarts

So my question is, is it normal to get this amount of water out at the end of the season? My thinking is that there must be some condensation taking place. The boat sits on a boat lift with the left hull getting the most sun. I do believe the hulls are tight but I will do a pressure check if the water collected is out of the ordinary.

Really appreciate any feedback on this.
  • QuoteSo my question is, is it normal to get this amount of water out at the end of the season?

You don't mention how long the season, or how rough the water, but I see nothing wrong with your boat, many leak more than that after a few days.
    The last Cat we took out was an '88 Nacra 5.0. It too rests on a lift, from Early June til the last sail, Oct 30. I drained about 2 gal from one hull, 2 litres from the other.
    It had been flipped a few times, & the older Nacra boats usually leak a bit where the shroud chainplates exit the hull.
    Normally I would not leave it all season, we were lazy, too many boats to sail this year, & the skeg hull Nacras have to be tipped pretty far,(or use a steep beach) to fully drain. I don't have ports on either NAcra, & couldn't snake a tube from the hull drain through the rear bulkhead.
    If you are using a lift, one way is to slide the boat further back than normal, then lift up the bow. With the boat further back you are closer to the balance point, & I can easily hold up even the 5.7.
    It works well if the boat rests on a deck board bolted to the lift. It not only distributes the weight well, but the hulls seem to stick to the board instead of sliding back when you raise the bow.
    I would not do this if the hulls are of a fragile nature, too much pressure on one spot when you raise it. Skeg hull Nacra, or H16 types are fine.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • You only drain the boat at the end of the season?? I've seen (owned) boats that have taken on roughly that amount of water after one DAY of sailing. Yes, that amount of water is fine. It is not condensation. It is water that has leaked into the hull and accumulated. If you only had a gallon of water in your hull after an entire season, then really, you have nothing to worry about. However I would recommend trying to drain the boat more often. Since you keep your boat on a lift, the easiest way to drain it might be to install 4 or 5 inch access ports in each hull behind the front pylon. After you're done sailing, open the port and sponge out any water in the hull.

sm

Edited by Dogboy on Nov 28, 2014 - 05:13 PM.
  • QuoteYou only drain the boat at the end of the season??

Ummm, ahhhh, well,(furtive looks for proximate eavesdroppers, then uttered sotto voce), "sometimes it happens."
    I keep 3 Cats, fully rigged, except for mainsail, on lifts. It's a be-itch to get them on shore solo. The 6 metre Mystere has ports,& flat bottoms, no problemo with sponge.
    The 2 Nacra's have no ports & are skeg hulls, they need to be on quite a steep angle to drain.
    The N5.0 doesn't leak,
    hardly at all,
    no matter how hard we thrash it.
    The lift it sits on is not conducive to "tipping" it up
    we like beer after sailing,
    sometimes it doesn't get drained,
    some times we forget til Oct.
    Ditto for the 5.7, well it leaks a bit more, so we usually get it once a month.
    I've been meaning to install ports on the 5.7...

Edited by Edchris177 on Nov 28, 2014 - 10:56 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • DogboyHowever I would recommend trying to drain the boat more often. Since you keep your boat on a lift, the easiest way to drain it might be to install 4 or 5 inch access ports in each hull behind the front pylon

+1

I routinely drain water after each outing and open both ports to dry out. This will ensure healthy conditions of your hulls and prevent soft spots. You can also setup a small fan on one of the ports to make sure all the moisture is out.

As a general rule, if you see a cup of water after a day of sailing, this is perfectly normal. A gallon would be too much. There are multiple posts on how to find a leak on this and Hobie forum. Good luck.

--
    Jack B
    Hobie 17
    BC, Canada
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.