Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

if you make a deal HONOR it  Bottom

• i made a deal with marcs2 for some cat trax he had for sale in the catamran parts forum , we agreed on the price and he sent me a paypal bill for the trax with a shipping bill to follow . i payed the paypal bill a day later my money is returned with a note saying he decided not to sell them.. too late they were sold .
    pretty sad .

--
    "take your dreams down from the shelf take the measure of yourself upon a beckoning sea"
    eileen quinn
    --
  • That's certainly annoying. But since you aren't out any money and weren't ripped off, I'm not sure that this is an appropriate response. It's a classified add as opposed to an auction and things happen sometimes, especially with the larger items. You just have to pay full price now or wait for another deal.

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I don't agree Dave. IF the guy sent him a Paypal bill, & he paid it, the seller should honour that transaction.
    If I were selling, I would give the first responder the first chance. If he didn't pay right away, I would query him, & tell him,(show him the email) that I had other offers. If he then delays, the second buyer gets it. I have had second buyers offer me a bonus to sell to them, I refuse.
    That is like selling a stock, seeing it go up the next day & being pissed you didn't hang on. You made the decision on asking price in both cases, so live with it.
    Online sales give no chance for face time with the seller. All you have is your reputation, hard to earn, easy to lose. That is why MN3 will never deal or recommend Slo Sail, & I will never deal or recommend HULLFLYER

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Chris, I don't disagree with you. You should always sell to the first person who asks and not hold out for better offers. Basically deal in good faith. I'm not saying you shouldn't.

If the seller got a better offer from a second buyer or a more convenient buyed (local) then that is pretty bad of him. But I'm not sure that happened here. The guy may have just decided it was too much of a hassle to ship and decided it wasn't worth the effort. Again its a pretty crappy thing to do to someone, but as long as there was no monetary penalty it shouldn't be a huge deal. My objection is that right away it gets posted on the forum.

I would hate to be in a position where a deal fell apart for whatever reason (personal or otherwise) but I didn't actually screw someone out of some money and got dragged through the mud. I have bought and sold lots of things here and never had that situation but who knows what will happen.

I have no problem with what you or MN3 did. You both got royally screwed and those guys deserve the negative press. In this case I'm not as sure. In any case I was just questioning the appropriateness of the action, not that it is crappy business. My own reaction would have been a nasty e-mail and move on. I think we should reserve the public tar and feathering for the guys who sell you and F18 and send you a Sizzler instead. icon_smile But that is just my opinion.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • NEVER LISTEN TO ONE AND JUDGE TWO, WHICH VERY OFTEN IS THE CASE ON THIS SITE!!!!!!!!!!!
  • con·tract
    noun
    ˈkäntrakt/
    a written or spoken agreement, especially one concerning employment, sales, or tenancy, that is intended to be enforceable by law.

The law defines a contract as a mutual "meeting of the mind". once this agreement is developed and all parties agree (and often seal this in writing) the contract is formed. If one party later changes their mind... it is a breech of the agreed contract.

you could take him to court and "force" him to sell you the wheel at the agreed cost but that would be pretty silly
  • Well the all caps post convinced me. I stand corrected. The seller is being a dick, should honor the agreement and southronspirit was correct in outing him. Sorry I caused a kerfuffle.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Did he give you a shipping price already?

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Been involved with all sorts of different types of forums through the years. Classifieds often end up with some sort of dispute at some point.

Personally, I wouldn't back out of a deal unless the other party agreed to it, but that is me. On the other hand, if it happened to me, I'd be disappointed and wouldn't deal with the person again, but that would be the end of it for me.

Shipping large items is a pain. I used to ship bass guitar speaker cabinets and stopped doing it because it was more trouble than it was work.
  • he had told me that the shipping price would be around 100 dollars ,but would send me a final one when the shipping place open , i paid the bill for the wheels as soon as i got it .
    i just figure your word was your bond , if it was me once that deal was made there was no going back .

--
    "take your dreams down from the shelf take the measure of yourself upon a beckoning sea"
    eileen quinn
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.