Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Moving to Florida SpaceCoast - current state of cat racing?  Bottom

• Hi guys, I've co-oped in Melbourne the past few years and now will be moving there for a full time job when I graduate in May. I sailed this past summer with CRAM in Michigan on my Hobie 16. I'm hoping to keep sailing regattas every few weeks next summer but I'm not sure where to look. I know Space Coast Catamaran Association used to meet up once a month at Kelly park. And they also do Hiram's Haul. Then Scott runs Wednesday night Wave races at Pineda. Are there any other organized races/regattas in the area? I'm willing to drive a bit for some good sailing. I'm just learning to race but I had a blast with CRAM this summer and want to continue next year.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • Hey Zach

Congrats on the position, although I selfishly wish it was a bit further north. From observation over the last few years, it seems the sailing season down there is fall-winter-spring. From what I've heard the summers are not pleasant to sail in: Light winds and lots of thunderstorms.

I'm thinking of attending Tradewinds and Charlotte Harbor next Jan/Feb.

Hopefully some local guys will chime in.

Jeff

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • Hey Jeff

I'll miss CRAM for sure. I wish there was something like CRAM in Florida. Maybe I'll have to start something! When I was down in Florida for the summers before the weather wasn't bad. Hot, windy, and rainy. It was more consistent sailing weather than summers around here. You're right though, fall, winter, and spring is the best time to sail in Florida.

Zach

--
    -Zach
    --
  • Hi Jeff

Here are a few of cat regattas close to you that come to mind, right now. Send me your contact info I live in your area.

Greg

--
    Prindle 18 w/ wings, Prindle 16, Prindle 15, current
    Hobie 16 in rebuild
    2 Hobie 18 past
    NACRA 5.2 past

Saint Cloud, Florida
    member Lake Eustis Sail Club
    http://www.lakeeustissailingclub.org
    --
  • Thanks for the help Greg. I lived in the area the past 3 summers so I'm familiar with most of these. I'll get back in touch with you as my move date nears (May 2015).

--
    -Zach
    --
  • Good luck Zach, glad I got to sail alongside you and the other 4 people you had on your boat that day! haha :)

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --
  • You too Cesar! Hopefully we can meet up and sail again.

It appears to me that the racing scene is a little more active in Michigan than it is in Florida. Maybe the same number of regattas but just spread out over the entire yea. I'll have to try to get involved with the local mono racing group denk

I've been kicking around the idea of getting a Hobie Tandem Island when I move down there. They look like loads of fun!

--
    -Zach
    --
  • Once you get set up down there, host your own events....road trip! icon_smile

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • Zach,

There are some good places sail with very good sailors on Hobie 16s once you move here. I strongly suggest you come to the Kelly Park River Regatta next year on Memorial Day. Here you will meet a lot of Hobie 16 sailors from both the East Coast and the West Coast. This is a very fun regatta and you will meet all the relevant people at this event.

Also, as for traveling a bit, and sailing during the summer, definitely come sail with us at the Gulfport Yacht Club in St Petersburg. They have a club race on the first and third saturday of every month all year long, and the Hobie 16 sailors are very competitive.

Also, please keep in touch with the Division 8 Section of the Hobie Forums, as I will be posting the 2015 regatta schedule soon, as well as encouraging others to use this forum as a central tool for posting about Hobie Sailing in Florida. Next year is going to be a good year in Florida for Hobie Sailing, we hope to have at least 5-7 points regattas, as well as the mid-winters and the 2015 Hobie 16 North Americans will be held on the panhandle. Here is the link:

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=98

I myself live in Fort Myers and don't hesitate to drive the 2 hours to GYC for the club races as they have a great race committee and everyone hangs out before/after and has a great time.

Looking forward to seeing you once you move down here next year. Congrats on the job and the move!!

Fred
    Hobie Division 8 Chairman
  • Thanks Fred! Now I'm excited! We're considering moving to an 18 since I'm a bigger guy. Either that or I'll have to get working on my beach body!

The move will be right around Memorial Day weekend. I'm not sure we'll be moved in by KPRR.

--
    -Zach
    --
  • And next year, you can come over to the Charlotte Harbor Regatta. Fred's been there and I am hoping to see him again.

http://www.charlotteharborregatta.com/

Jack

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.