Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Great sailing day in Texas  Bottom

• Had a great day on Lake Travis. 15kt winds with gusts to 21. Short vid of some of the fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeLfGZo-qHA&feature=youtu.be

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --
  • Can't see video at work, will check it out this evening. I've been too busy the last few weeks to get out and sail the hobie. I went about 2-3 weeks ago on our Sea Scout Crew's 26 foot Westerly Keel Boat and got my certification so I can now take the kids on that boat myself. I still prefer my hobie to the big boat though, more fun and excitement.

--
    Carl S
    1985 Hobie 16 the kids call her "Queso"
    Baytown, TX Sea Scout Ship 208 "Red Skies Ship 208" on facebook
    Nacra, Dolphin, Capri, Sunfish, MacGregor 26x, these are a few of the boats we sail
    --
  • Looks like fun, but uh why is skipper a little gun shy on flying the hull??? Seems like every time the starboard hull came up more than a few inches out of the water, I saw the main sail get released a little bit LOL. Guy in the front needs to lean out a little more and help fly that hull steadily!!!

I can't say much I've only had one outing with someone that wasn't scared to fly it a little, other times I've had little ones on with me and didn't want to risk it too much. When me and my buddy flew it, we had some pretty good gusts that would kick it up about 2'-3' feet it seemed and I would have to release some sail because it was coming up way too fast. Our combined weight was probably 400-440 with me at 235 at the tiller.

--
    Carl S
    1985 Hobie 16 the kids call her "Queso"
    Baytown, TX Sea Scout Ship 208 "Red Skies Ship 208" on facebook
    Nacra, Dolphin, Capri, Sunfish, MacGregor 26x, these are a few of the boats we sail
    --
  • That has to be screaming on the 5.0!! I've yet to go out in winds that strong, but sounds like a need to buck up and give it try! How high winds do you take your 5.7 out in and what kind of speeds do you get on it?

--
    zoha
    --
  • @Carl,
    My crew is a little reluctant to get the hull too far out of the water, so I kept it down to a reasonable height. lol We were also cutting through the middle of a regatta and didn't want to end up on our side and affect the racers.
    @Zoha - it was definitely a good day! I just picked up my 5.7 a couple weeks ago, so haven't been able to take her out yet. The weather has either been rainy, cold, or no wind so far. It was blowing 15-20 last Sunday and I don't have a righting pole installed yet (would have been solo), so I elected to wait for a milder day for the test run. I've taken the H16 out in 20 solo and was out in a storm with sustained 24 and gusts to 35 last summer (with crew in the vid). It was quite a ride! I imagine that, once I get accustomed to it, I'll take the 5.7 out in the same range. It's a much more powerful boat, so I might end up lowering my limits a tad though. :)

--
    Tim
    81 Hobie 16
    87 Nacra 5.7
    Austin, TX
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.