Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

I Need Info on Supercat 17  Bottom

• I have an opportunity to buy an ARC 17 . Only couple of years old. Has a self tackin gjib. I have heard the ARC (previously Supercats) are "very simply rigged" cats.

What does this mean? Does it have spreaders, diamond wires etc.

What makes it more simple than say a Hobie or Prindle with jib?

I do know it has no boom. On the one hand no fear of getting hit in head. on the other is there a downside to boomless?

Is this a good beginner boat?

Any information on what makes an ARC 17 a "great" boat is appreciated.

Any reason to not buy an ARC 17 as a new sailor?

I cannot find much on line as opposed to tons of info on Hobie and Prindle.
  • ARC/SC17's don't have diamond wires or spreaders. I think they are nice boats and Aquarius is great to deal with. You won't get better customer support. You don't see many of the newer ARC's for sale, I'd imagine it's a really nice boat. I've got an older SC17 I'm converting to a self tacking jib right now with guidance and parts from Aquarius. They have lots of volume up front so they aren't as likely to pitch pole. I single hand mine (weigh 155) some and it has lots of power, still fast with the wife on too. Aquarius makes some quality stuff, you won't be disappointed with it.

They use a max bottom batten, which is an aluminum tube, instead of a boom. This controls the mast rotation when you sheet in and out.

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --
  • I also have an ARC/SC17 and have sailed it for years starting with a Boston Whaler SC17 in the 1980's. I agree with everything mentioned above. Tom at Aquarius is great to deal with. Given that the basic design of the boat goes back to the early 80's, Tom seems to find positive improvements to constantly nudge the details of the design forward. I have the self tacking jib and the spinnaker pole. No reason I can think of not to do it!
  • http://owners.aquarius-sa…b80c391533cbe8bbf0[list]

http://www.aquarius-sail.com/

An awesome cat. It handles big chop well, real fast and very stable.

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.