Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

hc16 with 14 feet mast and sail  Bottom

• Hello from Spain!!
    I can buy a HC16 but wiithout the standard 16 feet mast and sails, but the 14 feet size. I think that maybe the original mast broke or something like that, so they managed to mend it with parts of other ship.

I am 80 kg, (over 160 pounds) and I have been practicing windsurfing for five or six years. The place where I spend the summer has not very strong winds, so I can not practice windsurf, and I think that the hc can be a good option for solo sailing, or ocasionally with my wife, and maybe for my kids in the future (6 and 10 years old) but no all together!!

I dont really know what to expect from this ship. At first I was looking for and standard hc16, but I couldn´t find it here, and this ship is in the same beach where I am, so I don´t have to go to another place and carry it back, if I find one, that means I can sail this summer.

What do you think? My fear is that it won´t go smooth and fast with medium winds. What I really desire is to sail the ship as the windsurf board, I mean I love when it starts to rise and you have to go out and in all the time!!! I have been sailing the hc tiger and hc fox several times, but never as a master (never driving it, you know what i mean, i can find the word), and a hc 12 a few times as master, I have also practiced optimist and vaurien in the past

thanks a lot for your help
  • The economic factor is part of the decision? I would probably go for it for less than Eu50... I could then sell the wrong parts and get the right (used) ones probably for an overall price lower than the price of a complete H16 in similar shape.
    Even if you get it to sail smoothly, which doesn't seem unlikely, sooner or later you'll want to fix the mismatch or get something else. I would guess that this feeling will come within the first two weeks...
  • I started out on the H14Turbo, which is the H14 with a jib, and quickly found it to be underpowered for my weight at around 185lbs. So a H14 sail on a H16 will not carry 2 people very fast. Do you have access to used parts? I would do as suggested above, look around for H16 mast, mainsail and jib. When negotiating with seller on price, make sure they know what you will have to spend to update that boat.
  • thanks a lot for your answers!! I guess I shall look and try to find a standard HC16 or DART 18... See you
  • tabothanks a lot for your answers!! I guess I shall look and try to find a standard HC16 or DART 18... See you

Be sure and come back and tell us about the boat you purchase and your sailing adventures.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.