Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Mystere trap cables getting snagged on diamond wires  Bottom

• Seems every time I go sailing my trap cables get snagged up on the upper attachment point of the diamond wires, preventing proper mast rotation. This mainly happens while the cat is bouncing in the waves when tied up to our mooring buoy (only used briefly to take down sail) but also occasionally while sailing. Not only is it annoying, I'm concerned it might damage the cables eventually. Trap cables are bungeed fairly snug. I think a lower separate trap cable attachment point would have been a better design, but it's what we have to live with. Anyone have any suggestions on preventing this? Would simply taping the diamond wires/pins at the top help? I was going to post a pic but the procedure seems pretty complicated, and instructions don't apply to my iPad...

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    Lake St Francis (St Lawrence River)
    Lancaster, Ontario, Canada
    --
  • Hi Jason,
    "Would simply taping the diamond wires/pins at the top help?" Yes, and
    it certainly protects the jib when tacking.
    I'm not familiair with the Mystere, but would it help to put the bungees
    in a more aft position ? Or are the bungees in a fixed position ?

Grtz, A

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • There are two fixed positions, one at the front crossbeam and another at a grommet halfway down the tramp. Basically though, the further back they are the more prone to snagging.

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    --
  • I'm assuming your setup is almost the same as my 6XL. Click photo to get the full size. This is identical to both my Nacras, with no issues.
    It is difficult to tape the top of diamonds as you have no room to get the tape underneath when winding. The Mystere uses heavy duty electrical shrink wrap. This leaves almost nothing to snag on, & the stuff lasts for ages, though you will have to undo the diamond to install it.
    Both my traps anchor as you have described. As long as the bungee keeps decent tension it has not been an issue.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=109374&g2_serialNumber=4

Edited by Edchris177 on Jul 14, 2014 - 05:47 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Run a bungee from shroud to shroud, trap wires and spin halyard on the outside. Problem solved.
  • I like the heatshrink idea Edchris, and I have lots of it. I'll give that a try...

--
    Jason Kasper
    2000 Mystère 5.0XL
    --
  • i secure my trap wire to the side stay with a 6" piece of bungee and plastic clip (so my trap handle doesn't swing around and take out a tooth)- this helps it stay out of the way as it winds around the side stay a little bit

i removed my crew trap wires. since i'm not a racer, there is no reason i would need 2 on the wire
    if i have crew, and it's blowing enough for flying the hull with crew out, I let the crew do it

QuoteThis mainly happens while the cat is bouncing in the waves when tied up to our mooring buoy

Edited by MN3 on Jul 15, 2014 - 10:25 AM.
  • QuoteRun a bungee from shroud to shroud, trap wires and spin halyard on the outside. Problem solved.

Good point Sam, I should have mentioned that. It is probably more effective than the heat shrink, here is how mine is rigged.There is a preventer on both the diamonds & the shrouds.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=109378&g2_serialNumber=4

Edited by Edchris177 on Jul 15, 2014 - 11:54 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I second the heat shrink tape. To quote the Franks hot sauce commercial "I put that shit on everything"! The 3:1 shrink stuff with the hot glue inside is great for whipping a line and the non glue stuff is great for taping your rigging. Conveniently available for us Canadians at Princess Auto (canadian harbor freight)

When I don't want to undo and sleeve the rigging though I use self bonding rigging tape. Also available at princess auto: http://www.princessauto.c…e-Rigging-Tape/8523359.p . Or plumbers sealing tape (basically the same stuff) http://www.princessauto.c…e-Rigging-Tape/8523359.p

Don't buy any actual rigging or blocks at Princess auto though. :)

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • an issue with heat shrink or rigging (or electrical) tape on stay ends or trap lines is you are less able or inclined to do a close inspection for rust or broken strands.

Edited by MN3 on Jul 16, 2014 - 08:49 AM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.