Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H16 main halyard  Bottom

• Is there a trick to lowering the main and not having the bug on the cable go into the sail track?
    This happens about 50% of the time. Would not be an issue except since I have mast up storage
    I need to raise the halyard to remove it or the cable will clang on the mast. That is never a good
    When storing on a friends deck.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Pete, stand in front of the mast so you can grab the foot of the sail in 1 hand and hold the main halyard out as far as possible with the other hand, keep slight tension on halyard as you pull the sail down, if slug is still binding in hook, feed halyard around bridal wires and try that. You need to put angle on halyard and mast to keep slug away from hook, either straight out or to side, pull down on halyard to disengage slug, then angle out/side.

HTH
  • just re-read your post...... icon_rolleyes realized slug is slipping into sail track, this happens quite frequently on H16's, when it does, tie tail end of halyard to halyard shackle after releasing sail, you can then raise slug up and out of sail track then pull it back down and secure. Velcro straps stop main halyard from making the irritating "halyard clang".

Edited by the-renovator on Jun 22, 2014 - 07:25 AM.
  • Been using the halyard like you suggested to clear the slug and then
    A bungy cord to the rear lacing to avoid the clang. Was just wondering
    If there was a technique to keep the slug out of the track. Thanks.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Just check your mast-head sheave, if its worn down too much, the wire halyard gets closer to the mast, which will increase the chances of the slug dropping into the track.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.