Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 14T Rigging  Bottom

• I watched a video for Hobie 16 rigging and noticed they used the jib halyard for rig tensioning. Would this be a worth while addition to my Hobie 14 turbo? I really struggle to rig solo. I think if I had the jib tack pinned to the furler and the head to a halyard that I could raise the mast and tension the rig without leaving the tramp. This is how a Trac14 works. Is there and easier way to rig a turbo?

--
    FYC, Nacra 5.2 "Chris's Flyer" & Nacra Playcat
    Previously owned: Trac 14, H14, H16, H18, N5.0, G-cat 5.0
    --
  • Rig the fore-stay at the in the right hole for tension on the furler. Leave the shrouds loose enough to step the mast. Place the mast vertically in front of the front crossbar.
    Step the mast by lifting it vertically (hand over hand) into place. Then tension the shrouds by hooking into the trapeze lines.

Edited by presto13031 on Jun 03, 2014 - 10:04 AM.

--
    Jeff
    Houston TX
    1986 Hobie 18 Sail# 13031
    --
  • The system on the H14T is totally different from the H16. There is no jib halyard on a H14T - the jib is sewn onto the forestay and is not (easily) removable.

However, you can do the same thing you're describing with the main halyard. Tie an extension line onto the main halyard and then tie one end of the halyard to one of the bow tangs. Raise the mast and then pull all of the slack out of the halyard and cleat off to the cleat on the front of the mast so that the halyard is holding the mast up. Then jump down and pin the forestay to the bridle wires. Finally, release the main halyard.

sm
  • presto13031Rig the fore-stay at the in the right hole for tension on the furler. Leave the shrouds loose enough to step the mast. Place the mast vertically in front of the front crossbar.
    Step the mast by lifting it vertically (hand over hand) into place. Then tension the shrouds by hooking into the trapeze lines.Edited by presto13031 on Jun 03, 2014 - 10:04 AM.

I tried this and I was about a half inch short of getting on the mast base. I will try for using the main halyard for assistance. If I become inclined to spend money I can always make a different short cable with a sheave on it for hoisting the jib.

--
    --
  • Rob, try putting your H14T on the trailer stern 1st, that way your mast is already semi-raised, use your trap wires to keep forward pull on the mast so that when you have raised the mast vertical, it will stay there while you hop off and secure the forestay. You can use extra line with snap-hooks pulling forward to some part of your trailer but coming back to the jib blocks so that you can cleat off. I personally have always used really strong flat rubber bungee straps to keep forward tension on the trap wires, I muscle the mast vertical, check to make sure there is enough forward tension to hold the mast in place, grab the forestay and quickly hop off the forward beam keeping tension on the forestay as I move to secure it to the bridal wires. Has always worked well for me, I double up on the bungee straps for each trap wire, and always check the straps before each use. There are some who do not agree with bungee's but each to his own, works for me, is quick to attach-detach, have used them on all my cats, H14T, H16, P18, GCat 5.0 and P16, have not had an incident where the mast dropped yet, always mindful of enough forward tension to keep mast vertical, always mindful of keeping forward tension on forestay as I move forward to attach to bridal wires. I always sail solo.

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=53380
  • I agree with the boat on backwards concept. I launch at a sand covered ramp with beach on both sides. I pull the boat on shore stern first and then raise the mast. I find this to be the easiest way by far. The only issue is the wind. I like the old video for H16 rigging. They use shackles to connect the jib sheet blocks to the bridle and another shackle from the forestay to the dead end of the jib sheet. I will try that next time I rig.

--
    --
  • I use a modified version of the video for the H16. I own both. I have a line with snaps on each end and a pulley in the middle. I tie a spare line on my furler and run through the pulley to the split cleat(?) on the front crossbar for the furler line. With the mast hinge pinned I lift the mast into position, then reach the line tied to the furler and pull it to put tension on the forestay(sail). then I can pin the bridles, unsnap my lines and disconnect the line tied to my furler.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.