Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 18 SX - Wing Rear Support Strut Needed?  Bottom

• More questions about my "new" H18.

My H18 clearly has SX wings and not Magnum Wings, going by the long wings. But the thing that threw me was the absence of the rear support "struts" than Damon mentioned to me when I quizzed him about buying the boat and the differences in the wings - he said SX wings would have a rear strut.

Now, it appears that the struts were never installed and are probably long gone. The install instructions (below) call for the rear struts and now I am wondering if I might break off the wings if I don't come up with some supports. Of course, there is no evidence that they were ever installed, and they ain't broke yet! (I meant to do that.)

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=107669&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Tim Young
    Hobie 18' + other stuff that floats and goes.
    Kentucky
    --
  • Since the struts are missing I'm wondering if your boat has the mounting plates on the cross beams.

Look to see how the wings are attached to the beams, where they hinge up. There should be a plate covering the tramp slot that is riveted to the beam. Not just a slug in the track.

Often folks buy used wings and install them however they can. I think those parts are still available from the dealers.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Speaking of the wings, how are yours supported for trailering? If they are just strapped down to the mast you get a lot of rubbing and damage over time.

Need some version of this.
    http://thebeachcats.com/pictures/?g2_itemId=11711

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=27757&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • DamonLinkousSince the struts are missing I'm wondering if your boat has the mounting plates on the cross beams.

Look to see how the wings are attached to the beams, where they hinge up. There should be a plate covering the tramp slot that is riveted to the beam. Not just a slug in the track.

Damon. No mounting plates, just a slug/stud that appears to be threaded into the side of a round plug in the track.

--
    Tim Young
    Kentucky
    --
  • Yes, you need the struts... they don't really support weight, but prevent those long wings from shiting for and aft and thereby prevent stressing the other joints in ways they weren't designed for....

Figure out how to get the mounting plates, and just get some alu rod material and drill holes to insert the pins through the rods and into the mounting brackets....

And yes, you really should have those mounting plates on your crossbars too... someone retro-fitted your wings and didn't pass along all the original hardware....

Install and removal of wings and all parts is not trivial... involves basically disassembling the boat, and removal of a crossbar end casting to get the slugs out.

Finally, I'd make sure in your hulls there are extra layers of fiberglass, about 12 inch by 12 inch, in the inboard and outboard of each hull where the crossbars meet... Hobie beefed these up to help handle the extra concentrated stress and load pressing down into the hulll at those points from wings...

that said, I'm sure plenty of folks keep going like you are and may be just fine. your boat, your call.
    cheers and congrats again on the awesome Hobie 18!
  • given the number of items you are missing for correctly installing the SX wings you might be better off biting the bullet and purchasing the SX wing mounting kit item number 68060101 which I last saw at (if I remember correctly) West Coast Sailing. It runs about $290 and may include a few things that you may not need such as lacing line but at least you will know you have everything you need plus instructions. I helped a friend install used SX wings on his cat last year using that kit. PS: you will need a very heavy duty riveter to properly seat the rivets in the wing anchor plates and the strut mounting tab that goes on the rear wing arm.

--
    Randy Neubauer
    Apple Valley, MN
    2001 H18M
    --
  • I agree with Rob and NeubaurRL, get the parts to get the wings installed correctly, otherwise you are asking for damage to the wings and or boat.

I added the beam brackets to an '81 with magnum wings which didn't originally come with them because the slugs in the tramp slots were pulling through and causing damage and I nearly lost the wings off the boat when trailering because of it.

Since you need all the mounting stuff and struts the kit looks like the way to go.

One suggestion, I had an experienced dealer install the brackets since I was new to cats and didn't have the really big rivet puller needed. When he installed the rear starboard bracket which covers up most of the opening in the trampoline slot needed when installing a trampoline, he tapped and beam and used stainless screws instead of rivets so the tramp could be replaced without having to drill out the rivets.

I'm wondering if you even have the strut tabs (part 65100000) that permanently attach to the top of the outside beam bolts to pin the wings.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • read this - GREAT article blog, etc... especially check the part about installing wings....

http://www.hobiecat.com/f…ewtopic.php?f=13&t=36064
  • robpattread this - GREAT article blog, etc... especially check the part about installing wings....

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=36064

And that boat is now for sale here in the classifieds.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…-18se-w-2f-sx-wings.html

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • Check with Backyard Boats they will have what you need, if they don't they will tell you where to find it.

--
    Jim
    New Orleans

'83 H18 SX mods 2013 -
    '65 Lavey Craft 2005 -
    '69 Cal 25 1997 - 2001
    '80 P16 1980 - 1996
    --
  • DamonLinkoushe tapped and beam and used stainless screws instead of rivets so the tramp could be replaced without having to drill out the rivets.

I'm wondering if you even have the strut tabs (part 65100000) that permanently attach to the top of the outside beam bolts to pin the wings.

Drilling and tapping sounds like the way to go all around. I have wide assortment of drills and taps. A low profile round head stainless screw should be fine. No dealers anywhere near me. It'll be DIY.

I do have the strut tabs to pin the wings.

shipchips1Check with Backyard Boats they will have what you need, if they don't they will tell you where to find it.

Called these guys. Really helpful with information on the topic. They can get the individual parts I need without buying the kit, exception is the struts themselves. Those are basically solid round according to Backyard Boats. A metal provider can help here.

--
    Tim Young
    Kentucky
    --
  • There are four stainless steel brackets that you need to mount to the rear wing arm and deck (two on each side) that the struts attach to...the struts are easy to make but the stainless brackets not so. (FYI, experience from owning 4 SX wing 18s over the last 30 years), get the right parts, don't cheat yourself.

Edited by NeubaurRL on Apr 18, 2014 - 07:58 PM.

--
    Randy Neubauer
    Apple Valley, MN
    2001 H18M
    --
  • NeubaurRLThere are four stainless steel brackets that you need to mount to the rear wing arm and deck (two on each side) that the struts attach to...the struts are easy to make but the stainless brackets not so. (FYI, experience from owning 4 SX wing 18s over the last 30 years), get the right parts, don't cheat yourself.Edited by NeubaurRL on Apr 18, 2014 - 07:58 PM.

Agreed! Buy the brackets, make the struts. A person can take the DIY thing a little to far sometimes, as I have been known to do. icon_rolleyes

--
    Tim Young
    Kentucky
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.