Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Channel inserts  Bottom

• What are you guys using for channel inserts/nuts when mounting hardware into the mast channel or boom channel. I can't find anything, other than what they call a channel slug, which is like 11 bucks a piece. Pete

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    Webster Lake Indian Lake Narragnsett Bay in Rhode Island
    --
  • Could you simple get some round stainless steel rod stock, drill a pilot hole,now a tap hole and than cut it down to size. Don't drill hole too tight for the tap (one size up works the best as long as you have enough thread) and use some Anchor cutting fluid. Anchor is almost like toothpaste in thickness and works well.

When working with stainless steel, tap slowly and back off tap several times to clear tap threads.

Patients is important here. icon_wink

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • oh, take a new sanding disc with your grinder to slightly flatten round stock before you drill the pilot hole. It is hard to drill round stock without that small flatten spot .

I build my own rudder pins out of 3/8" round stainless steel stock, maybe that size will work for your new "slugs".

good luck

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • I was thinking that tapping stainless would be tough. It may be worth a shot. Thx

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    Webster Lake Indian Lake Narragnsett Bay in Rhode Island
    --
  • bill40421SEI build my own rudder pins out of 3/8" round stainless steel stock

Bill, where do you get your SS stock?

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Maybe I misunderstand the question, but on Hobies square SS nuts are used to attach hardware such as a downhaul cleat in the luff track of the mast.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --
  • go to http://www.murrays.com/
    and search channel insert

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.