Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hull Speakers  Bottom

• I know the make portable water proof speaker cases for phones and such, but has anyone every built speakers into the hull of there boat? Does anyone have any ideas or info on attempts of such a feat?

I'm considering attempting to install water proof marine speakers (recommendations?) into the two top hatches that unscrew on the top of my P16 hulls. (The proper name for these escapes me). I would imagine its possible to cannibalize these threaded caps attach them (their thread sides) to two properly sized speakers, then run a 3.5 line out of one of them for input from a ipod/mp3 or something of the sort. (which can be easily made to Velcro to the tramp or hull) I still need to think up a power source, perhaps two smaller (waterproof) solar panels at the fronts of either hull? I'm worried about running the wires through hulls and under tramp and what not. Also things getting in the way such as the jib getting caught on the solar panels, not that they are raised much but could be a annoyance. Also I would not want to lose access to the inside of the hulls that those hatches provide so the speakers have to be able to be installed in the same way they securely screw in.

Any thoughts or ideas are welcome!
  • I had considered this as well but as I have sailed my P18 more I have realized that it would take about 3 tacks for me or my crew to put an appendage through one of these and ruin it. Maybe this would be doable on a hobie 16 with a raised tramp but where the Prindle ports are located it seems like only a matter of time until the speakers are destroyed. Additionally I would be concerned about water-tightness and durability when submerged. You would also have to have either a head unit or an amplifier to power these speakers and I see no suitable location to place this type of equipment onboard.
  • MN3 uses a very simple system. He just hangs a construction radio in a clear bag from the boom. Plays all day on the Ryobi,(maybe DeWalt?) battery.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Edchris177-
    In line with that idea this portable speaker case is probably my best (and cheaper) bet. (http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?subscribe=Y&ProductCode=29743&gclid=CJy6nuy82bwCFa1lOgodujUAwQ#color=210)
    Rider_55-
    I had thought of the issue of sitting or or stepping on the speaker it self as a problem but I would think with the right metal grate installed that could be avoided. Although I am not sure about where you would go about mounting an amplifier, perhaps under the front cross bar or in the hull it self? The problem being with the second one where you would need to drill through the hull to run wires internally. Sealing the speakers properly and still having them operation is probably the biggest feat if it is even possible.
  • zerwinI had thought of the issue of sitting or or stepping on the speaker it self as a problem but I would think with the right metal grate installed that could be avoided. Although I am not sure about where you would go about mounting an amplifier, perhaps under the front cross bar or in the hull it self? The problem being with the second one where you would need to drill through the hull to run wires internally. Sealing the speakers properly and still having them operation is probably the biggest feat if it is even possible.

The amp would have to be in a water tight location that still had enough airflow to keep it cool so you can't put it in a small sealed container. Adding superstructure to protect the speakers introduces a whole new way to damage the boat or more likely the crew.

Go with a portable solution and avoid the hassle. I have a cheap system like the one you linked and it works fine when I want to listen to to music.
  • I've often thought about this, but will probably never do it. Hard on an old Prindle where the decks are really curved... other boats much easier.

1. Cut holes behind the rear crossbar and mount some waterproof speakers in them.
    2. Run the speaker line like you said, be sure it's waterproof
    3. In a hull, one or both, but a small 12V battery like for a kids electric play ride-in car
    4. In a hull, install a class "T" small amp.
    5. Put your ipod into the amp.

Rock out.

If you flip, there's not that much water pressing on the spearker, and even if you flip, the hull shouldn't be submerged up to where the speaker would be. Put a heavy duty plastic grill over the speaker.

Cool idea, kind of sketch on the implementation, however...

I've also thought about a little loop on my spreaders where I can easily run up a small loudspeaker on one side and a bright, but lightweight LED on the other... for all those nights camping or just on the beach.

Cheers,
    Rob
    Cherry Hobie 18
    Sharp Blade F16
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kboYMAYr92A

I spent a season with my 5.2 singing to me. t-amp and a pair of marine speakers from amazon. It's really impressive how much sound you can generate with the speakers mounted in hollow hulls. It's more impressive just how loud the wind and water are when you're out there trying to listen to music.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • i have gone through about 20 radios over the years
    everything from waterproof earbuds to giant 8 d-cell boom boxes

I have gone through about 5 ryobi mono construction radios and am now on my second ecoxbt http://ecoxgear.com/ecoxbt/
  • I got an EcoxBT for my birthday last summer and it has joined me on many sailing days. It's simple to use, the batteries last a long time, and generally works quite well. I lash the ears of it between my hiking straps (actually to the deadeyes) back by the rear beam. It sits lower than the top of the beam, so never really gets in the way. Unless I completely turtle, it is unlikely to get submerged in that location.

FWIW, I work for an audio company that does marine (Rockford Fosgate). I don't think you could ever do it "right" on a catamaran with marine speakers. Simply no way to deliver enough power without adding huge weight and complexity. Can you put some in and make sound? Yes, but not for long at any significant volume or quality to justify the effort.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • we have a friend who has bose indoor/outdoor speakers mounted in his h21 spreaders, and a sub woofer on his front tramp.
    he has a dry cell batteries in each hull and goes all night with BLASTING music, above and below lights and a blender - it is possible, but all the weight effects performance
  • MN3i have gone through about 20 radios over the years
    everything from waterproof earbuds to giant 8 d-cell boom boxes

I have gone through about 5 ryobi mono construction radios and am now on my second ecoxbt http://ecoxgear.com/ecoxbt/

How does the volume of the ecoxbt compare to the ryobie?

The Ryobi in a good dry bag is hard to beat... cheap, compact, battery lasts forever and is super loud.

Another good radio thread:
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ms/viewtopic/topic/11951
  • similar in volume but the ryobi is a single speaker in a bag, sounds like a radio ... in a bag

the ecoxbt is stereo and not in a bag so the sound quality in MUCH better, and since it is a blue tooth device i have lots of music options like pandora or itunes streaming from my phone (the ryobi can plug into an iphone but it's lower quality and if you use the plug in feature of the ryobi, the volume level suffers a bit)

Also the ecoxbt allows me to answer phone calls on the fly

QuoteHow does the volume of the ecoxbt compare to the ryobie?
  • QuoteFWIW, I work for an audio company that does marine (Rockford Fosgate). I don't think you could ever do it "right" on a catamaran with marine speakers. Simply no way to deliver enough power without adding huge weight and complexity. Can you put some in and make sound? Yes, but not for long at any significant volume or quality to justify the effort.

What do you consider "right"? 12-volt powered t-amp and 2 marine speakers, each with a full hull sized enclosure, makes some noise all weekend long. It's loud enough that you wouldn't try to hold a conversation close to it without turning it off.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Over the weekend I ran some numbers on a waterproof speaker, amplifier. Battery and blue tooth receiver that could all be made into a sealed hatch cover, it would be removable and re-chargeable. With battery's that would last 8-10 hours I was looking at over $100 each just in raw materials.

I took another look on eBay after that and found plenty of water proof, blue tooth, rechargeable systems for $10-$20 each.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • zerwinI know the make portable water proof speaker cases for phones and such, but has anyone every built speakers into the hull of there boat?

Never done it but this package looks interesting as a start.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/…03GSLDUO/ref=cm_sw_su_dp

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • QuoteWhat do you consider "right"? 12-volt powered t-amp and 2 marine speakers, each with a full hull sized enclosure, makes some noise all weekend long. It's loud enough that you wouldn't try to hold a conversation close to it without turning it off.

Given the type of marine audio products we design/sell, I suppose I have a distorted expectation relative to tonal balance, frequency response, and overall SPL.

All that being said, its a matter of how reality shapes your expectation. Good is a very relative term icon_smile There are things you can do with a high power budget that are simply not possible with anything less. Sailboats, almost by definition, are low power budget (zero power in our case) conveyances.

Damon's link does look interesting. Only part missing is a 12V Bluetooth streaming input (one option here) so you can manage the audio remotely from a waterproof smartphone.

I typically mute the audio during the start sequence, then its AC/DC all the way once the gun goes off.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/282873_10151827343270721_1705762763_n.jpg

I'm thinking you could do something like this, at the front crossbar. Mount the Blue tooth and T-amp in the tube with the addition of a "T" fitting w/ a screw closure to reach the battery for recharging and amp tuning.

Blue tooth reciever - Rechargable $24
    http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics%C2%AE-TT-BR01-Bluetooth-Headphones-Transmitter/dp/B006IJJH7O/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1395859136&sr=8-12&keywords=bluetooth+audio+receiver

Pyle 2Ch Amp & speakers $66
    http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLMRKT2A-2-Channel-Waterproof-Amplified/dp/B003GSLDUO/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1395858772&sr=8-14&keywords=marine+speakers

12V battery & Charger $30

4" PVC fittings $50

MISC wire

Inline fuse $5

After writing it all down the costs add up pretty quick for a system to drive a set of Pyle speakers. I may just opt for one of the BT setups mentioned earlier

Edited by bobcatnj on Mar 26, 2014 - 01:48 PM.

--
    Bob Miller
    1983 P16 Sail # 7312
    "Miller Time" A work in progress; out of the water for 16 years
    Barnegat Bay NJ
    Beach Cat Lesson #1 - A free cat isn't
    Find more Prindles on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/173120656090532/
    --
  • I am on my second ecoxbt and they have resolved the pressure issue (the unit would build up pressure from heat and lower the speakers ability to output) and when it is facing you, this little sucker is LOUD.
  • +1 on the ecoxbt, plenty loud, however if you need the music to be so loud you can't talk over it aren't you missing the whole point of sailing in the first place? I realize if you're racing you maybe could use some AC/DC ( who made who ) cranked icon_cool but all that extra gear would slow you boat down no? personal headset/earpods would be very economical and not start a volume war with the pontoon and ski boats icon_lol The best sound I hear sailing is the sound of hulls slicing through water icon_evil

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • +2 on the ecoxbt. Mounted it to a small cooler that I have shock corded to the tramp just behind the mast. Blue tooth gives great variety of options form I-phone in waterproof case. Also calls come through the speaker when called on the I-phone. When done sailing just unclamp carbiners hooked to shock cords and remove ecoxby and cooler. Loud enough but definitely not booming. First used last year and have really enjoyed it.

Edited by spoulton on Mar 27, 2014 - 05:18 PM.

--
    Scott
    ARC 21
    Prindle 18
    Annapolis, Maryland
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.