Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 18 Downhaul  Bottom

• I am going to modernize my downhaul a bit. Nothing fancy, I plan to add a swivel at the base of the boom track and add a little purchase. My question is, should I go with 5:1, 6:1 or 7:1? I know these older boats aren't setup to play with downhaul pressure, but I thought it would be nice to have a little adjustment for certain conditions. Pete

Edited by peterk123 on Feb 11, 2014 - 06:39 AM.

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    Webster Lake Indian Lake Narragnsett Bay in Rhode Island
    --
  • 5:1 or 5:2 should do - i think that's what i had on my h18

you def don't want to over downhaul older sails .....they make and ugly sound when they shred

http://www.murrays.com/mm…ode=C-MO-D&Store_Code=MS

if you have newer sails you may be able to get away with a more robut system, but realize your mast was designed to be stiff

Edited by MN3 on Feb 11, 2014 - 08:13 AM.
  • peterk123but I thought it would be nice to have a little adjustment for certain conditions

Hey Pete,
    You should have 4:1 now unless the previous owner changed things.
    I think your system uses two cheek blocks and a clam cleat on the mast.
    A significant improvement on my Prindle was adding a double block with becket to the bottom of the mainsail.
    This block allowed the downhaul to run much smoother than having it rub through the tack eye in opposing directions.
    It does not change the ratio, but did greatly reduce the friction in the system.
    Downhaul was much easier, and provided the control necessary for shaping the main.
    I never thought twice about it after that.

The swivel block would allow you to adjust it from either side, and would also reduce the friction from having to pull it through the clam cleat. The combination of the swivel cleat and the block on the sail would be a smart improvement.

MN3 is on the nose when he says, "...you def don't want to over downhaul older sails."
    Increasing the purchase will allow you to pull your sail apart.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.