Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

F18 Open Event @ Hobie MW @ OSYC 4/4/14  Bottom

• The powers(HOBIE) that be have let it be known that the Hobie MidWinters @ OSYC April 4th-6th 2014, will be an open event for the F18 class. We had a great event last year, not as many F18's boats as we would have liked.......when I ask why, seem to be a consensus that we did not do a good job getting the word out. SO THE WORD IS OUT, AND LOOKING FOR PARTICIPANTS !!!! Winds usually are 10-15, water starting to warm back up!! Notice to come soon, and preregistration to follow. Come on down, enjoy the Miss. Sound !!!

--
    Robbo
    Wave#1181
    Capricorn#86
    --
  • I'll be there! I don't have a F18 but I went last year and had a lot of fun. I'll try real hard to drag a few locals down there with me from Memphis. Don't think I'll race but it is some great sailing and seeing all the nice boats.
    Tim

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • Is this open to all cats ?

--
    Doug Klem
    Pensacola , Fl.
    Blade F16
    Prindle 18-2 w/spin
    Prindle 18-2 x 3
    Prindle 19 MX
    --
  • Hobie MidWinters East and West are Hobie only events.
    The F18 class may be invited under the F18 Regatta Inclusion Policy.

No it is not open to all cats.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • While it is an "official" Hobie race if you're looking to "race" in a class legal race, its HOBIE ONLY. If you accidentally "show up" that weekend to sail, eat great food, drink cold beer and enjoy hanging out with 30-40 sailors having a good time then............." Who Cares" IMHO icon_biggrin

I personally love to sail my $900 '81 hobie 16 and watch other people that drove 1500 miles with their $15,000+ hobies race. Its a regatta, its sailors having fun getting their boats wet. You don't have to be on a new competitive hobie only boat to enjoy the OSYC. Heck, if 20 prindles, Nacras, G Cats and Sol Cats showed up, if nothing more than to hang out and cruise around the area, I doubt anyone at Ocean Springs would turn down the sailors or their cash.... I could be wrong though? (Avoid race course if you're not in it)
    Sailing catamarans in general has been on the decline for years, why wouldn't Hobie want enthusiastic sailors to see their boats shine? Maybe sell a boat or two? It seems most people start on an older Hobie 14's or 16's anyhow, there's really no loser. Its a beautiful sight to see 30+ boats lined up on the beach - sails up icon_eek

I'm sure there are other more open class regattas later in the year but this one is fairly close to a lot of people AND at a time of year when sailors are dying to get out on the water and are looking for an excuse to do so; myself included. I'll buy you a round if you can make it! icon_cool
    Tim G

Here's a few pics from last year ( note the weather you missed if you weren't there )

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae296/fxloop/IMG_1611_zps22c9d2f6.jpg

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae296/fxloop/IMG_1607_zpsaee66b74.jpg

http://i981.photobucket.com/albums/ae296/fxloop/IMG_1598_zpsc74e4bd0.jpg

Edited by fxloop on Dec 22, 2013 - 08:59 PM.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    --
  • fxloopWhile it is an "official" Hobie race...

No need for the quotes, this is as official as it gets, regatta is run by the Hobie Class.

fxloopSailing catamarans in general has been on the decline for years, why wouldn't Hobie want enthusiastic sailors to see their boats shine?

Love your enthusiasm! But you don't realize what a can of worms you open up with the discussion of "Hobie Only" events. icon_lol

The distinction for this event is that it is an actual official Hobie Class event where members of Hobie Classes can earn points towards championships, a "points regatta". It just happens to be held at Ocean Springs Yacht Club (a great venue!) where other awesome open (portsmouth rating) regattas are held.

The F18 class is a special case where even Hobie has two boats the Tiger and Wildcat and they have invited all other F18 class legal boats to compete as well.

You could see some serious competition for your Hobie 20!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Always disliked Hobie Only regattas , have been a performance cat sailor since the age of ten. Probably will go just to watch the races and cruz the waters

--
    Doug Klem
    Pensacola , Fl.
    Blade F16
    Prindle 18-2 w/spin
    Prindle 18-2 x 3
    Prindle 19 MX
    --
  • Hey Ron...are you and Donna coming? If I'm not working a S/D at Dow, I'll be sailing my new C2. Y'all can stay Chateaux Boudreaux with Dee and I.

--
    Kenny Boudreaux
    2010 C2 F18 USA 323
    Goodall Design "Southern Area Rep"
    Owner of Sailboxes.com
    --
  • Thanks, Kenny. We are talking about it but still a little cool for her. Will let you know.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Any F-18's thinking about coming to Ocean Springs for the Hobie Midwinters this April? Hope to see some of y'all come down to the beautiful MS Gulf Coast and enjoy some great sailing.

Edited by KennyB on Jan 05, 2014 - 04:13 PM.

--
    Kenny Boudreaux
    2010 C2 F18 USA 323
    Owner of Sailboxes.com
    --
  • You already know i'll be there kenny!

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • What boat?

--
    Kenny Boudreaux
    2010 C2 F18 USA 323
    Owner of Sailboxes.com
    --
  • Tyler is on the Cap#86 Kenny,

--
    Robbo
    Wave#1181
    Capricorn#86
    --
  • RobbieTyler is on the Cap#86 Kenny,

Looking forward to racing with you again Robbie!

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • Looking for a crew on my C2 for S2S...any suggestions?

--
    Kenny Boudreaux
    2010 C2 F18 USA 323
    Owner of Sailboxes.com
    --
  • Kenny,
    give Mr.Bello a call.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • The link on the USF18 site is now correct. NOR and registration is up and running. Sign up and come down to the Mississippi coast and enjoy some Southern hospitality! Hope to see y'all there!

--
    Kenny Boudreaux
    2010 C2 F18 USA 323
    Owner of Sailboxes.com
    --
  • Now 4 weeks away, hoping to hear from F18's planning on attending the event? Registration Link:

https://www.regattanetwork.com/clubmgmt/applet_registration_form.php?regatta_id=7814

Come down and enjoy the warm weather!!

--
    Robbo
    Wave#1181
    Capricorn#86
    --
  • Hobie MWE. If I'm out of line please correct me.......................

I won't be competing on my H20, ( not registered ) just there for cruises, spending money at OSYC and hanging out with other sailors.... might not ever race my 20. I'm too fat for a 16 at 220# to sail with any crew and there's no H20 class races within 900 miles of me, so basically its only my love of my 20' Hobie cruiser as far as I'm concerned. I'm a recreational sailor but I've gotten 4 new active hobie sailors the last few years so I'm happy :D
    It's the hobie way of life that i'm drawn to, not the 60yo+ guys that compete with Hobies and/or bad mouth everyone else or switch to NACRA. You know who you are................ I hear it at EVERY EVENT. icon_biggrin
    I'm focused on getting interested people into sailing on a catamaran every weekend ( lots ) racing at this point is #50 om my list of things to push.

Its hard to get sailors when a jetski or ski boat will do 60+mph with the dads credit card.................. i'm trying.

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    --
  • Tim,

The Hobie Mid-Winters East @ OSYC is for ANY ISAF approved F-18, AND any class-legal Hobie. (Wave, 14, 16, 17, 18, 20... Tiger, Wildcat...)(I may have missed one or two?)

Hobie is flying in their race officials, and will manage all aspects of the racing. The host is OYSC.

Outside of this Hobie event, at which any F-18 is welcome...

... the philosophy of the merry crue of bandits and pirates at Ocean Springs is that it's ALL about the sailing first... racing and brand are a distant second. That's why we still put on regattas, adult lessons, kid lessons, kid summer lessons, and casual Friday night races. We don't sweat who's on what make/model/year of boat. That's divisive and exclusive.

Hope you can make it for some time on the water and join us this year as you mentioned! The pictures you posted look great, adn we have a good schedule of big and small regattas lined up for 2014.

http://osyc.com/index.php?module=Content&func=view&pid=22

Me, I'm bummed that I sold my Hobie 18 recently, fantastic boat - mine AND the model.., but I truly needed something lighter, wanted something more modern and faster, and a spinnaker. Ended up non-Hobie - sad. But I understand the company has to make money and needs to offer what sells... so there's no Hobie F-16. But again, no love lost, it's the sailing first!

Kids LOVE sailing when you get them on the tiller of a powerful boat. All the things we love about it they come to understand. Independence, minimal rules and boundaries. Instant feedback. My son is begging me to get him a sunfish this summer... and I will!

See you around the boats sometime! -RobPatt.

Edited by robpatt on Mar 27, 2014 - 08:29 AM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.