Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Need Help - Prindle 16 Mainsail Downhaul - Internal Boom System  Bottom

• I am restoring my Prindle 16 and need help with re-assembling and re- threading mainsail downhaul line through block system. Question is how to thread line through double block and double block with Becket. First boom is secured to mast with line from gooseneck eye to cleat on mast. Downhaul line first secured to grommet in mainsail tack, then through angled block on gooseneck, then through fairlead in forward cap of boom, then apparently through double block with Becket, through double block, and exiting boom through a through-deck block on the bottom of the boom and the line is adjusted and secured with a fairlead cleat. I do not know the purpose of the Becket on the double block. Have photos of boom and blocks, but do not know how to attach to message. Thanks for your help.
  • catman449, here's a link to the factory manual. hope it helps.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=101252

--
    Mike Conway
    H16
    Hilton, NY
    --
  • catman449 First boom is secured to mast with line from gooseneck eye to cleat on mast.

Not sure what your doing here but it's not correct. The boom should not be secured to the mast with a line.

catman449Downhaul line first secured to grommet in mainsail tack, then through angled block on gooseneck, then through fairlead in forward cap of boom, then apparently through double block with Becket, through double block, and exiting boom through a through-deck block on the bottom of the boom and the line is adjusted and secured with a fairlead cleat. I do not know the purpose of the Becket on the double block. Have photos of boom and blocks, but do not know how to attach to message. Thanks for your help.

Sounds like you are mixing the downhaul with the rotater. But most P16's don't have a rotater.

Pics of what you have would help.

Here's how to create your own photo albums and post pictures in the forum.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ms/pictures-in-forum-faq

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • catman449First boom is secured to mast with line from gooseneck eye to cleat on mast. Downhaul line first secured to grommet in mainsail tack, then through angled block on gooseneck, then through fairlead in forward cap of boom, then apparently through double block with Becket, through double block, and exiting boom through a through-deck block on the bottom of the boom and the line is adjusted and secured with a fairlead cleat.

Virtually none of this is correct.

The manual that CatSailorMike posted is for the 18-2 and 19, but does have pictures that should help you rig it correctly on page 19. If you don't see those parts as they are in the manual, then someone has exchanged parts on your cat. You will need to post pictures for us to help you. It is possible that someone used non-prindle parts- Hobie or Nacra- on your boat.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • On the bottom of the P16 mainsail bolt-rope (tack) is a large grommet, tie 1/4" low stretch line to the mainsail at this grommet using a bow-line knot. On either side of the mast at the goose-neck assembly are 2 cheek-blocks with a jamb-cleat with fairlead beneath one of the cheek-blocks. Once the mainsail has been hoisted and secured, feed down-haul line through cheek-block on 1 side, back up through grommet, down through cheek-block on opposite side, back up through grommet and down through jamb-cleat giving you 3:1 purchase. Crank on needed down-haul and secure line using jamb-cleat (v-cleat)

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=75725&g2_serialNumber=6

bottom right pic shows you the setup, click to enlarge
  • Thank you for the suggestions. I have resolved the issue. The Harken 2013 catalog has a good diagram of an internal boom mainsail outhaul (not for a Prindle 16) which is basically the same as the internal mainsail downhaul which I have with modifications. The boom and downhaul has been re-assembled. catman449

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.