Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

SuperCat 17  Bottom

• I am planning to buy a SuperCat 17. I estimate that it was built in the mid to late 80s. The hulls, sails, and trampoline are in good condition. The trailer is of the same age and has new tires and working lights but is otherwise rusty according to its age. The mast was broken as a result of being tipped over on the beach during a storm, but it has been repaired (sturdy plates professionally welded at break point) and has been sailed without problems after the repair. I currently have a Hobie 16 and was looking for something that was a little more buoyant/ stable, less susceptible to pitch-poling, and more suitable for sailing on larger waters (Great Lakes). I will do most of my sailing on an inland lake with an occasional trip to the Great Lakes. What do you think is a fair price would be for the SC 17? Also, any advice or comments that you may have regarding the SC 17 and any comparisons to the Hobie 16 would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • I own one, sail bay and ocean in the North East. Fast, buoyant, definitely not prone to pitch pole. There is a small, but active and dedicated user base out there. Great support (and parts) from Aquarius. Might be too much boat for a small inland lake, but if you've got space you're set. It's a very simple design, let's you sail instead of tweak all the lines. Huge mast for a 17 gives you more than ample power, yet with the righting levers can usually be brought up solo.

I'd not hesitate to buy another.

Check the Aquarius forums to see what other SC17s sold for.
  • Thanks for the feedback and quick reply.
  • From my SC20 experience, the 17 will be a much wetter ride than a H16. Smoother ride, less prone to pitchpoling, but lots of spray. I would be concern with the repaired mast if you are going to be sailing the boat hard. It is likely still the weak point, regardless of how good the weld was.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • My estimate would be $2K to $2500, and the repaired mast is also of concern to me, so maybe less. Additional weight aloft from the repair might impair solo righting a bit. And the repair might affect the mast bend adversely, making it not match the sail luff curve as well as and undamaged mast. But I'm a big fan of the SC/ARC products, currently owning 3 of them.

Dave
  • I have a SC17 and quite like it, sailing it pretty much exclusively on mountain lakes cause that's all there is around here. I don't have any other cat sailing experience so nothing to compare it too. I would be concerned about the repaired mast. At least you are close to the manufacturer so can get a replacement mast easier or even get a carbon mast. Hope you enjoy it. Check the holes that the rudder pivot bolt goes through, if that's sloppy it will need to be repaired at some point. I don't have any idea on price, I paid 3500 for mine about 5 years ago.

C

--
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    SuperCat 17
    --
  • Thanks to all for the feedback. The mast repair is about 1/4 of the way up the mast. The person that I am buying this from is a friend of mine and is an airpane builder. The welded in plates were done by a person that welds things for airplanes and weld quality is very good. I agree that the stiffness characteristics of the mast will be different than a virgin mast but I am not worried about the weld integrity and strength. I have read that the SC17 mast is sealed and prevents turtling. I will need to make sure that the weld area is sealed water tight

smfinely - I am interested in hearing more about the amount of spray compared to an H16. I assumed that with the added buoyancy that the SC17 would float a little higher in the water and would be a little drier than the H16. Perhaps the shape of the SC17 hulls results in more spray coming from the front of the hull. Can you explain why you expect the SC17 to be a little wetter than an H16?

All - Can you let me know of any weak points or chronic failure modes for the SC17 that I should be aware of and check before buying. I understand that the boat is not new and will need some maintenance, but just looking for things that may be expensive or very difficult to repair if I discover them later.
    Thanks!
  • On a SC20 (similar hull shape), when you are moving fast the water roles up the hull and either sprays off the top, or hits the front crossbar and sprays from hitting it. Also with the more wave piercing hull shape the waves will get closer to the crossbar increasing spray. The luward hull looks like a firehose sometimes when really pushing it. By comparison, the lip on the top of the H16 hull knocks spray back down, plus the raised tramp keeps you higher.

The dry spot on a SC is out on the trapeze or sitting directly behind your crew. They are great boats, I love the SC20 which my brother has, but they are a wetter sail then most boats. You get none of the pitchpole tendancies you get with a H16, I grew up sailing a H16.

Depending on the transom design, check it for cracks. Some SC's had an exposed lip around the transom where you could see the layers of glass glued together. Later revisions had a smooth transom, the exposed lip could weaken. Again SC20 experience.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • It's a wet boat, though in my mind they all are, but this is definitely prone. Combination of hull design/shape and the way it demands to be sailed - others (Bill R) could explain much better than I so I'll leave it there. If you're out on the traps you're usually clear.

No spots specifically known to me, but I'd definitely check the play in the rudders (when locked down), points in front of the crossbeam, transom, battens (they're unique on this boats original sail). Replace the standing rigging regardless IMO.
  • Thanks to everyone for their feedback. The current owner recently repaired the pivot holes in the rudders (using replacement parts that you got from Aquarius) because they were a little sloppy. He glassed the new bushings in nicely and they operate very smoothly now.
  • I have 2 Supercat 17s and would also be concerned about the welded mast. I had one of my boats tip over in high wind ( on the beach) and bent the mast. A new mast from Aquarius was close to 2K. Plus shipping. I ended up buying a complete boat to get a mast, but subsequently found another mast. I suggest using a mobile home screw in anchor to anchor your boat to the beach when you are parked on an open area to prevent ruining another mast. Boat is wet since it goes so FAST compared to a Hobie.
    Since I did find another mast I have a complete boat for sale if you are interested with an original unbent mast.
  • Sstepanek, sent you a pm

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --
  • Lakewateree
    I do not see the PM and not sure how to access your message ....sorry
  • I'll send again. Messages are in the upper left hand corner of the home screen if your signed in. Where are you located?

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.