Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Setup tips  Bottom

• I need some setup tips, especially for the forestay. It used to be easy with our hobie 16 but I need four hands to do it on the prindle. Are you guys just completely detension the side stays, attach the fore and then go back and tension the sides?

Also, I need hints for the areas where it is good to use quick release pins (and what types). Thanks Pete

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    Webster Lake Indian Lake Narragnsett Bay in Rhode Island
    --
  • peterk123 Are you guys just completely detension the side stays, attach the fore and then go back and tension the sides?

Yes, I just do one side, moving the pin all the way to the top of the adjuster on the shroud. Once the fore stay is pinned, repin the shroud.

peterk123Also, I need hints for the areas where it is good to use quick release pins (and what types). Thanks Pete

Quick pins on boom to mast connection and tiller extension.

Snap Shackle on upper main blocks.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • My advice on quick pins is anything that will not cause a catastrophic failure if it fails. So boom to mast, blocks to traveler or boom, etc. are ok, but not a connection that holds the mast up.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Are you guys using the expensive push button pins or are you happy with clevis on the non critical stuff?

--
    New Prindle 18-2 Owner
    Former Prindle 18 Owner
    Multiple Hobie 16s
    Boylston Massachusetts
    Webster Lake Indian Lake Narragnsett Bay in Rhode Island
    --
  • *Do not* use the push button pins on anything critical... only use push button quick pins on NON-critical stuff

--
    Rob Jones
    1976 Yellow p-16 - parts is parts - hulls cut up
    1978 Yellow p-16 - in good working order
    1979 White p-15 - parts is parts - hulls cut up
    1985 White p-15 - good working order
    1982 White NACRA 5.8 - project boat.
    1986 White p-16 - in good working order
    1975 White Hobie 3.5 - PM me if you want it
    --
  • i have 1 quick pin on my boat - boom goose-neck to the mast and only because i use it every time i rig. i would never again use one somewhere i don't use it every time (this way you can feel and prevent it from seizing when it starts)

i have seen at least a 1/2 dozen guys try to unfreeze a seized quick pin on the beach and most couldn't... and it stopped several from sailing (couldn't get a broken hiking stick off the tiller crossbar)

everywhere else get a pin and ringding (besides my shrouds, they get shackles for my spin blocks) and i make damn sure they are snugged up with a tool before i launch ... they have a habit of working lose) . If it's a critical area with a pin and ring, i use rigging tape to help prevent the ring catching on something and bending

QuoteQuick pins on boom to mast connection and tiller extension.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.