Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sep, 1985 production Hobie 16 and main sheet traveler  Bottom

• I have a Sep, 1985 production Hobie 16 that I'm thinking of trying to replace the main sheet traveler (the one on the stern cross-bar). I purchased this boat "pre-owned" in 1988. The best I can tell is the current traveler car is the original car. My problem is that the traveler track goes completely across the rear cross bar, from the port corner post all the way to the starboard corner post. There is no room to slide the traveler car out of the track.

My questions is this; is the traveler car able to be disassembled? Or do I have to somehow "open" the traveler track to be able to remove the traveler car in order to put in a new replacement car?

All suggestions will be much appreciated - Thank you!
  • moorg, Welcome to TheBeachcats.com!

Probably be some more authoritative H16 mechanics answer, but I think you just need to remove several of the rivets holding down the track at one end, then the track can be lifted up enough to let the traveler car slide off. Then just replace the rivets after sliding on the new car.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • exactly as damon says. drill out three rivets from either end so you can lift the end of the track about a half inch. slide old traveler out and new one in and reattach track with stainless rivets and you should be set.

--
    Mike Conway
    H16
    Hilton, NY
    --
  • CatsailorMikeexactly as damon says.

I got one right! icon_cool

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Not quite that easy. Nose of rivit gun will not go down flush with bottom of track. Need to put a small nut atop of rivit shaft in order to get a snug seating of rivit & rivits are special beveled kind. Pete 909-800-5237
  • and exactly as pete says....been there done that

--
    Mike Conway
    H16
    Hilton, NY
    --
  • Someone must have already replaced mine, because the last rivet has been replaced by a screw.

Edited by klppurdy on Sep 04, 2013 - 07:05 AM.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • As Pete says, the rivets are countersunk.....and be sure to use stainless or monel! A heavy duty rivet gun will be a plus. This can be a little tedious......highly recommend that you obtain spare rivets (and keep the drill battery charger handy) in case of goofs.

--
    Jerome Vaughan
    Hobie 16
    Clinton, Mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.