Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Opinion, New sail doesn't fit  Bottom

• Ok, was getting ready to have a new sail made, an acquaintance informed me that they knew a NACRA dealer had a slightly used sail and would let it go for a great price. So I purchased the sail, unfortunately on arrival the sail does not fit my boat.

I am trying to figure out how a NACRA F-17 sail doesn't fit a NACRA I-17 however at this point what would you do, either try to return or modify the sail to fit? Note the whole selling point was to keep boat class legal and this came from a NACRA dealer?

I feel I share some responsibility for not double checking the size, however at this point I just want to use my boat.

??? icon_confused

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    Newbie but catching on fast.
    NACRA 17
    --
  • How does it not fit?

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • Will,
    Standard I-17 is either the sloop rigged Aus I-17 (lighter as well) or the EU I-17 that is a pure singlehander. Than you have the I-17R that is popular in USA with a much taller mast and much larger mainsail area and that is nearly exclusively sailed singlehanded although a jib kit is available for it. All have 17 sq.mtr. spis. The F17 is the US I-17 platform with the R-rig but with a larger spinnaker sail. The name suggests a Formula class setup but from what is available as class rules it appears to be a single manufacturer one-desig class with a F-name. In Europe The Texel rating system also recognizes the I-17XL (not the same as I-17R) and I-17 standard with jib (not the same as Aus I-17 as that one is lighter in overall weight.

I-17R/F17 seems to be popular around the great lakes. Sails fast in light airs but is rumoured to loose "some" when the winds increases. This also refers to the ease of sailing. At least that is what I was told by some I-17 Sailors. Also there is an ongoing debate on its overall weight hence the fact that it is not advertised. The US version should be lighter than the EU versions as measured by Texel though. But still heavier then the Aus versions.

In Asia several Aus I-17's (sloops + spi) race Taipan F16's. Great fun, but some bitching is going on about ratings. The F16's sailors seem very happy to go head to head with them, probably because they feel that they have an edge.

Anyways the Aus I-17 is about 125 kg ready to sail sloop + spi.
    I seem to rememeber it had asome 13.9 sq. mtr. main a 4.25 mtr jib and a 17 sq. mtr. spi
    The EU and US versions are heavier by at least 15 kg's, sometimes by 30 kg's depending on which source you believe.
    Both the EU and Aus version use 8.5 mtr mast while the US version has a 9.1 mtr mast that is made of carbon fibre.
    Mainsail area on the US version is 16.44 sq.mtr.

Hope this helps.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • If the sail is a little too big, but you got it at a good price, get a sailmaker to alter it to fit.. If you have an old sail for the boat that does fit even better. Give them both to the sailmaker and he can probably do the needed adjustments for a reasonable cost. Elliot Pattison might be your best bet because they did the original nacra sails and probably have all the needed dimensions for your rig.

Again, it's easier to give advice if you can tell us how it doesn't fit. (is the luff too long? Is it too wide to fit your boom?).

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Don't know what their status is but if I had a problem with a Nacra F, I or R17 sail, I'd probably start with Bob Curry at Sabre Sails.

http://www.sabresails.com/profile2.htm

Edited by nacra55 on Sep 03, 2013 - 12:52 AM.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Tyler your information is the most logical.

New sail is longer and skinnier, will have to cut all my battons to fit. A good say 12-18" longer. to the point you cannot get under if you tack.

To my knowledge my boat is a 2000yr NACRA I-17

I pulled out original assembly and purchase paperwork from 2000, has sail area listed as 21 sq M

mast height 9.1 m
    icon_confused

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    NACRA 17
    --
  • VIN if this helps? weight listed 380lbs
    NACR0034E900

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    NACRA 17
    --
  • does it have the carbon mast?

Nacra Inter 17 carbon fiber rig trailer.

2001 boat of the year, ultra light catamaran.
    Very fast boat (see photo) build to be singlehanded, does well with double.
    Main and spinnaker are class standard optional jib on a furler.

Boat is in very good condition, some minor scratches.
    No dents cracks, all very well maintained.
    - Mainsail in perfect condition,
    - spinnaker 3 seasons old with very little racing brand new sock.
    - jib is ok, used just in light air
    - all hardware is in perfect order
    - blades are perfect, composite carbon fiber rig is perfect
    -lots of extras (jib, deck organizer, sheets, straps)

Trailer is in perfect condition, custom cradles, and extra sidelights.

Registered in CA with stickers valid through 2015

Price for boat and trailer is $5900.
    I can help tow it within reason.

I’m moving to a 30ft boat, so sadly, this one has to go.
    Email me with questions if you are interested,
    Brand: NACRA
    Model: INTER 17
    HIN#: nacr0041e900
  • My guess is the newer sail came off a carbon mast. I have metal. Thus the difference.

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    NACRA 17
    --
  • i would ask if you can return it.
    no need trying to retrofit a "new" sail, save up and purchase a real new sail and enjoy the benefit of a new sail (that only lasts a few dozen uses)
  • Will,
    Best to give bob curry a call.

He knows everything there is to know about your boat.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • i do agree talking to bob about it is a good idea
    he knows his stuff for sure, esp that boat
  • Lots of good info above. From what I understand there are three masts for the Inter 17: 31 ft carbon 29 ft old aluminum and the newer lighter aluminum that is either 30 or 31.

The other problem is guys were lowering the spin pole and making longer bigger spins for it so you now have a small original spin a big boy spin and a tall spin.

The problem not being one design is nothing is guaranteed to fit. JMHO, RIcardo.

--
    Lake Perry KS
    H-18
    N-5.5 UNI +spin
    --
  • I am going to say I have the older 29 being a 2000 model, I will call Bob tomorrow. Right now waiting to hear if I can return the sail, note this was a leftover slightly used sail to begin with. I offered to eat the shipping. icon_frown Not really sure I am totally at fault, I offered to send measurements but was told it would fit. I guess I am learning a hard lesson, measure measure measure,

I failed to mention this ruined my weekend of sailing icon_frown

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    NACRA 17
    --
  • measure everything Mast Boom old sail new sail and anything that matters and have all of that handy when you make the call to either a sail maker or the dealer you bought it from so you can get good info What year the hull is makes no difference if the mast has been changed or ?????

--
    Lee - On the BIG Lake in MS

Harstil Kaulua 31 - Current Project Boat
    Cal 25 - What ? Time to freshen it up again??
    MC Scow 16 (1 in the water and 1 parts/project) SOLD
    Capri 22 - What do you mean you wont deliver it??
    Chrysler Pirateer 13 - new addition to the fleet
    --
  • 27fountainI am going to say I have the older 29 being a 2000 model, I will call Bob tomorrow. Right now waiting to hear if I can return the sail, note this was a leftover slightly used sail to begin with. I offered to eat the shipping. icon_frown Not really sure I am totally at fault, I offered to send measurements but was told it would fit. I guess I am learning a hard lesson, measure measure measure,

I failed to mention this ruined my weekend of sailing icon_frown

It's entirely possible that whoever sold you the sail did not realize there was differences as well. Before I read this thread, I had no idea there was several different combinations and I could have easily made the same mistake.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Update. Dealer got back to me and is more than happy to take sail back. It is possible I some how purchased a I-17 with a different height mast. I am just very happy to deal with businesses that are first class and great to deal with. icon_biggrin

--
    Will
    Indian Shores, FL
    NACRA 17
    --
  • Glad to hear you are dealing with a quality dealer that appreciates customer service.

Who is the dealer?

27fountainUpdate. Dealer got back to me and is more than happy to take sail back. It is possible I some how purchased a I-17 with a different height mast. I am just very happy to deal with businesses that are first class and great to deal with. icon_biggrin
  • ^^

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.