Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Modification Questions - Need Tech Info.  Bottom

• Hi All

I know it is quite early for me to be posting questions about modifications... I've only had my new-2-me Hobie 16 in the water once.... but...

... that is what I like to do with old boats! icon_cool

I know I'll be launching from a ramp and not a beach most of the time and so...I need to tie off to a pier while I put the trailer away. On this last trip I just tied a dock line to one of the tramp posts but... I'd really like to add some cleats to the bow and stern of each pontoon. To do that, I'm guessing I'd need to put in an access port for the through bolt and I don't want to hit any of the internal structural members when I cut the hole. An access port would also be nice to put a dry bag in for wallets etc. and cleats would be a nice place to tie a drift bag or to run a line ashore when camping out on the boat.

Does anyone have a schematic of the internal members for the hull? I'm talking about bulkheads and stringers etc. I need to know where it is safe to cut a 5" hole without damaging the hull integrity.

Thnx

r

--
    rgranger
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    Hobie16, Balboa26, Rhodes 22, O'Brian Windsurfer
    --
  • I'd reccomend not putting cleats on your 16, they may hurt you some day. I have numerous cats, and when I have to tie to a dock I wrap a line around the rear beam twice, to a bowline, and do the same thing at the jib bridle wire/tang, pulling the line down to the deck to put the load right at the tang.. These are really stronger than anything you could attach a cleat to, and leave the boat cleaner, should you find yourself or crew launched unexpectedly.

Ports are ok, but I'm happy throwing extra gear into dry bags and clipping them to the front beam, inboard.

Dave
  • on a hobie14/16 i'd use the pylons to tie to dock
  • rgrangerI'd really like to add some cleats to the bow and stern of each pontoon.

I'd vote absolutely not on the cleats. Find another way.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Well that was unanimous!

Thanks for the input guys.

r

--
    rgranger
    Smith Mountain Lake, VA
    Hobie16, Balboa26, Rhodes 22, O'Brian Windsurfer
    --
  • let's call them hulls and not pontoons too...

Edited by rwj0j0 on Aug 27, 2013 - 09:42 PM.

--
    Rob Jones
    1976 Yellow p-16 - parts is parts - hulls cut up
    1978 Yellow p-16 - in good working order
    1979 White p-15 - parts is parts - hulls cut up
    1985 White p-15 - good working order
    1982 White NACRA 5.8 - project boat.
    1986 White p-16 - in good working order
    1975 White Hobie 3.5 - PM me if you want it
    --
  • I quite often temporarily tie the 5.0 & 5.7 to my dock. I have pre made dock lines, with SS clips at the end, that stay on the dock, but you can use the same idea anywhere.
    Leave a small loop of line tied around the rudder pins. That makes it easy to clip onto, or just run a line through the loop, then tie a bowline, or run it back to the dock.
    For the front, I clip onto a bridle wire.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.