Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Would you even trade your H16 for a P18  Bottom

• Got an offer to even swap my Hobie 16 for a Prindle 18. Similar years, similar solid but not race worthy conditions. I'm going to test sail it, never sailed one but I like the P16 and probably would have gotten one if there were not so many H16's for sale in my area. I plan on keeping it on the beach where I will typically launch and sail solo, which is the role my H16 plays now. I have a Gcat 5.7 I keep on trailer for longer more adventurous trips, so the prindle does not have to be my do everything boat. I guess my simple question is, would you do it? It seems like a no brainier right now, but I may be missing something. I do weigh 220 will have company sometimes.
  • decide on the test sail
  • Absolutely a no brainer! Pete
  • Yeah - in a heartbeat. The only thing would be that the other person is going to want their boat back!!!

--
    Rob Jones
    1976 Yellow p-16 - parts is parts - hulls cut up
    1978 Yellow p-16 - in good working order
    1979 White p-15 - parts is parts - hulls cut up
    1985 White p-15 - good working order
    1982 White NACRA 5.8 - project boat.
    1986 White p-16 - in good working order
    1975 White Hobie 3.5 - PM me if you want it
    --
  • Make sure you can handle solo on the beach when launching. If that works for you, it is likely a good trade assuming condition of boat is good. Harder to find, so resale might be better in the future also.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • if both boats areb usable and the sails are in decent shape.. .it's a good deal

Edited by MN3 on Aug 23, 2013 - 07:22 AM.
  • https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/564461_3256930321524_731956882_n.jpg

you can load up the prindle and they weigh about the same.

Edited by coastrat on Aug 23, 2013 - 10:15 AM.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • jalexI guess my simple question is, would you do it? It seems like a no brainier right now, but I may be missing something.

As long as the Prindle is in good shape and has all the pieces, run at this swap!
    The 18 is an easier sail, handles more weight (friends) and will feel similar to your G Cat on the water.
    By giving up the H 16 you lose the full battened jib and the propensity to pitchpole in other watercraft's wakes.
    The P 18 is the cat you were meant to sail.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • In about a second.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • YES!

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • Thanks guys, lets hope the guy that wants to trade isn't on this site
  • Holly Cow, anyone have a P18 they want to sell?!!!!!

--
    Tim Grover
    1996 Hobie Miracle 20
    Two Hobie 14's
    1983 G-Cat Restored
    Memphis TN / North Mississippi
    --
  • There is a really nice P18-2 down here that I was called about a couple of months ago I know it's still there but dont know the price. It has fairly new main and stored in a shed. I can call the guy and find out more if you want me to

--
    Lee - On the BIG Lake in MS

Harstil Kaulua 31 - Current Project Boat
    Cal 25 - What ? Time to freshen it up again??
    MC Scow 16 (1 in the water and 1 parts/project) SOLD
    Capri 22 - What do you mean you wont deliver it??
    Chrysler Pirateer 13 - new addition to the fleet
    --
  • Yes if they were in similar condition.
  • Having owned both boats I can tell you its not that simple, do as Erice suggests, take it for a sail. The H16 is lighter, easier to trailer, easier on fuel consumption, setup time is quicker if you have the H16 on trailer backwards, you can solo step the mast; and the H16 is a super-fast boat.

The P18 is a super-stable platform but is a beast to handle solo both with trailering and setup, the mast steps sideways, you have the diamond wires to deal with, really difficult to solo step the mast and the P18 is comfortable to sail solo with winds up to 15 mph.

Of course, if you're the type of sailor who has a whole posse of people who go sailing with you, then by all means, the P18 would be a good even trade.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.